• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

please help

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksmith149

What is the name of your state? California
I have a question about search warrants & arrest with no charges being filed.I was arrested with a search warrant for laptop computers and they took 169 items from my home with only roughly 10 laptops on the list is that normal and legal also I have not been charged in 5 weeks time!

FlyingRon

They've got more than 5 months to charge you. Depending on what the charge is, it could be years.

The search warrant probably had weasel words in it that allowed related items to be taken in addition to the laptops.

You need a lawyer.

outonbail

You will not be getting any of the stolen merchandise back. It doesn't matter if the other 159 items which the police confiscated were not listed on the warrant.
If the police are searching your home under the authority of a warrant which specifically lists stolen laptop computers as being the targeted property they believe you're in possession of and during the execution of this search warrant they discover other property they believe is also stolen, they can legally take those items as well.

If, during this search, they did find 10 laptops as well as 159 additional items which they confiscated, I suggest you sit back and be patient, because charges will be coming your way.

They are just busy collecting as much information and identifying as many of the victims who lost this property as they can. This way they can present the complete package to the DA.

So, 5 weeks is nothing. This sounds like a fairly large number of items to have to log in, investigate and identify the legal owner/victim of. As with any other investigation of considerable proportions, the final results will take some time to assemble.

Until that time, I suggest you see some sights, enjoy your freedom and spend time with loved ones while you can. Because there is going to come a point, where you will not have this opportunity again for quite a while.

Also try to remember that if you feel inconvenienced at having all these items seized from your home, think about how the people who legally purchased these items must feel!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">