• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

dndme

my mother passed away in missouri with a will. now my siblings and i don't know if we need to contact a lawyer if her will is noterized. should we close her checking and savings accounts? one sister is on the checking when she went to the store or paid bill for our mother. we are not sure what we should do first. all interested parties have been notified of her death. please help in missouri.

ALawyer

It really depends on the size of the estate and type of property in her name.

First, go to the court clerk of the probate court and ask what the limit is in your state for a small estate. If the estate is small, you may use the state's proceedures to handle very simple estates wiothout a lawyer. If it exceeds that amount, then a lawyer would be wise and a savings of grief and frustration.

If there is a home, solely in her name, you'll have to have the will admitted to probate to be able to transfer good title. If it is in joint name, then the surviving joint tnenats own it.

As for the check books, very often someone with signature authority informally uses the funds to pay final expenses, even if they are not supposed to. So long as it is not done to hurt the other heirs, this is sort of winked at.

D

dndme

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my questions. I do have another, what is a quick claim? I have been told that sometimes it is better to make a quick claim on such items as her house or car. Please explain what a quick claim is and how it is benificial in matters like this.
Nancy
dndme

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">