• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trespass 140.05

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trespass140

New York

In New York State, 3 friends and 2 other people who I do not know were "arrested" for trespassing under the violation 140.05. We had entered a trail in the woods off a main road in a somewhat small town and followed this trail down to the water, then took a turn over a small foot bridge to a cliff and sat there talking. An hour or so later, two policemen came and informed us that we were all trespassing and under arrest. They asked us if we were from the area and we said that we were not being that 3 out of the 4 of us are from a few hours away. We followed the police out a different trail leading to the same road from which we entered the woods. On the walk out the officers pointed out two "no trespassing" signs, one of which was impossible to see, the other in clear view. I informed the officer that we did not enter the woods from this trail and therefore saw no sign and had no idea we were trespassing. He ignored this and said that upon crossing over the small foot bridge we were trespassing. There is no "no trespassing" sign what so ever near or in sight of this small foot bridge, nor on the way to this area from the trail in which we entered the woods.
I have two questions. Firstly, if convicted guilty, what are the consequences likely to be, will it result in fingerprinting? a permanent record? what can be done to clear this?
Secondly, being 19, this is my first time for any violation of any sort, and am completely unfamiliar with the law or the court system. From what I understand it will be a small court. What should I expect and how should I go about this without a lawyer? All I know is that under the trespassing violation 140.05 it is stated that in order to be trespassing one must knowingly be doing so and this was not the case.
Thank you very much.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">