• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

brothers small estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

suzanne turner

my brother passed away with no will, sister and I are next of kin.we dont get along well.do i need a lawyer or can i do the legal necessities eg; court requests for administrations, etc myself. I know half is hers, i just want to get the ball rolling without an attorney if i can.
thanks

ALawyer

If the amount of his estate is below the amount in his state for simplified procedures, then you can probably do it unless there will be a cat fight with that sister with whom you don't get along well with.

If the amount exceeds the simple estate limit in the relevant state, or the sister gets antsy, or the estate exceeds $675,000, definitely get a lawyer. It will save you a lot of grief.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">