• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cell phone tap

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

flipncrzy

What is the name of your state? Washington
Is it legal for the police to listen in on cell phone conversations and if so can they use what they hear in court or just to further investagations?

I

itsjustme1

Yes its legal. years ago they needed a warrant. But since Bush got into office a warrant is no longer needed. They can ease drop when ever they like. This was changed in a effort to prevent "terrorism"

xylene

Yes its legal. years ago they needed a warrant. But since Bush got into office a warrant is no longer needed. They can ease drop when ever they like. This was changed in a effort to prevent "terrorism"
Don't be a dip.

Or are you really a afraid of Bush ease drop in on you? moron. :rolleyes:

I

itsjustme1

NO I am not. All I'm saying is that they can do that now since Bush pass the new easedropping law.

CdwJava

NO I am not. All I'm saying is that they can do that now since Bush pass the new easedropping law.
Not true at all.

The police still need a warrant. Homeland Security might not need a warrant from an open court, or if the call is going overseas, but in most every case conceivable the police WILL need one.

- Carl

I

itsjustme1

Not true at all.

The police still need a warrant. Homeland Security might not need a warrant from an open court, or if the call is going overseas, but in most every case conceivable the police WILL need one.

- Carl
Do they need a warrant/court order
Police yes.. Feds NO

Feds can get around it

Last edited:

justalayman

Police yes.. Feds NO
not neccessarily true. There are still rules and limitations to what they can listen in on.

I guess it must be a location thing but I have always called this eavesdropping.

Well here go the law that says they can..
http://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs9-wrtp.htm#wt2
Both federal and California law enforcement officials may eavesdrop on and record telephone conversations without a court order under the so-called "one party consent provision" (18 USC 2511(2)(s); California Penal Code 633). In other words, if state or federal authorities have the consent of one party to a conversation (such as a government informant), the conversation may be monitored. This provision applies only to eavesdropping by law enforcement officials
so who is the one party that is giving consent? (hint, there are typically two parties and they are the ones involved in the conversation)

So, where can they do this without permission of at least one of the parties to the call?

I

itsjustme1

I'm just saying they can and will. Now you may never knowthey did but if they want to tap you they can legally if they suspect " Terrisiom" How far the Feds take this who knows.

And if they want to easedrop they can whether if its legal or not and if they do it illegally I am pretty sure you will never know they easedropped

justalayman

I'm just saying they can and will. Now you may never knowthey did but if they want to tap you they can legally if they suspect " Terrisiom" How far the Feds take this who knows.

And if they want to easedrop they can whether if its legal or not and if they do it illegally I am pretty sure you will never know they easedropped
No, you were saying they could do it legally based upon the laws you referrenced.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">