• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Mothers will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jptt63

What is the name of your state? Texas

My mother left me $25,000 of her invested monies in her will, but my step father tells me that he does not have that. Would her car be considered invested monies? It was only in her name, and I am her only child.

Last edited:

ShyCat

Unless it was a valuable classic, a car is not considered an investment. "Invested monies" would mean investments in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, money market accounts, and so on. It does not mean "anything money can buy".

Dandy Don

When did she die? Were you ever informed about this matter previously by the executor?

Go to the county courthouse and look at her probate file to see exactly how her estate was handled and who was executor to see if there is any mention in there about what form the $25,000 was in (was it a certificate of deposit, bank account, etc.). It most likely should have been held in trust for you but the executor may have mishandled it or stolen it, in which case you will need to consult an attorney about how to file suit to get it back.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

justalayman

My mother left me $25,000 of her invested monies in her will, but my step father tells me that he does not have that.
a will cannot disburse money that is not there. While you may be on the bad end of the stick here and the money really was there, you must also consider the possibility that while mom wanted to leave you this money and included it in her will, when she passed, she just didn;t have it. A person can include anything they want in their will but if they do not posses that item, money, or whatever when they pass, this direction of assets just simply cannot happen.

follow Don and investigate to be sure but remember, if it it ain't there, you can't get it.

jptt63

mom's will

Unless it was a valuable classic, a car is not considered an investment. "Invested monies" would mean investments in stocks, bonds, mutual funds, money market accounts, and so on. It does not mean "anything money can buy".
Thanks for the advice. Maybe a 20,000 dollar Prius that was being payed for from an invested account that was paying more interest, than the car interest would matter?

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">