• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

5 charges against me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

icincoi

What is the name of your state? California

i was charged with 5 different things fraud, identity theft, burglary in 2nd degree, and grand theft twice i think

the company i took it from got their money back, the store got their merchandise back cause im paying it back. now i was just wondering is there any way to get the burglary and grand theft twice since everyone got everything back and just face the fraud or identity theft? i went to court on tuesday and the judge appointed me a lawyer and another court date to go back is it too late? the last question i have never been in trouble with the law this is my first time for anything is it possible to not do jail time for all that?

CdwJava

Your attorney can try and negotiate a deal with the DA that will drop one or more of the offenses in exchange for a guilty or no contest plea to the others. Speak to your attorney.

- Carl

outonbail

If you are charged with multiple felonies, then you will more than likely be facing some time behind bars. Relying on a public defender to get you the best possible deal is not usually a good strategy. It can happen, but most often they are so burdened with cases that they don't have the time that a case like yours should receive.

i have never been in trouble with the law this is my first time for anything
This may be the first time you were caught, but it is doubtful that this is the first involvement you've had in this sort of crime.
The courts would rather see the suspect accept responsibility for their actions and not demonstrate remorse simply because they got caught.
When you're facing this many felonies, the "first time" song and dance doesn't receive much consideration.

I don't know what jurisdiction your case is in, but from my limited observations of what sentences get handed down in Riverside, for a first timer facing similar charges, here is what I would expect.

Sentences to one year county jail, with the sentence being suspended and you being placed on formal probation with a variety of conditions.
Such as, spending sixty days in custody of the sheriff. This can be served on weekends or house arrest. Three years formal probation, one to two thousand dollars in fines and court costs and possibly some classes.

This is not guaranteed, simply my uneducated guess. You will still end up with a felony conviction on your record, which is not good and will most certainly come back to haunt you at some point.

If you were to violate your probation or get arrested again while your on probation, you would then be taken in to begin serving your year sentence.

Again, this is only my guess, it could easily be worse and maybe a slim chance you could do better.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">