• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Default Conviction and Suspended License in 2 States

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W.G.

Massachusetts and NY

New York and Massachusetts

Last year in March 2007 while visiting Manhattan I received a ticket for driving while using a cell phone as well as a ticket for driving without insurance. My vehicle was insured but the paperwork was mistakenly not in the vehicle. The officer suggested I write a letter to the NY DMV explaining that as a visitor to Manhattan I had been unaware of this relatively new cell phone law along with a copy of proof of insurance. I did as she advised. After several weeks I received a letter from the NY DMV with a court date. I then sent via certified mail on June 7th, 2007 the same proof of insurance and note re: the cell phone use.

In response the NY DMV sent a letter saying they needed a copy of title in addition to the paperwork I had supplied. I sent in a copy.

I heard nothing again and assumed that the ticket had been dropped and the matter dismissed.

the NY DMV had been sending mail to a slightly wrong (#14 instead of #17) address and what I did not know at the time is that my new address was in a rural route and so mail is not delivered if sent to this town but needs to be addressed with the name of town adjacent - something to this effect.

Eventually in the early part of 2008 I received notice that my license was suspended for default. I called the NY DMV and they suggested that I write a letter again. I called again several weeks later when I heard nothing in response and this person said I needed to apply to reopen a Default Conviction.

On April 28th 2008 I sent in the application along with all copies of prior correspondence. I have not heard anything back yet and when I spoke to a rep. from the NY DMV yesterday she said they are backlogged and applications are taking 2 months minimum before being addressed.

Meanwhile, I received in February in Massachusetts a speeding ticket. I paid the ticket albeit late but I did pay along with late fees. Then I received a note saying my license had been suspended and I needed to pay $100 to have it cleared. I called to pay the $100 with a credit card but was told that they could not receive my payment until the NY suspension was lifted. then I just received a letter saying that my MA license would be revoked in July if my NY suspension not lifted. I also received a letter this week saying my insurance would be canceled Monday due to the suspensions.

I think if I pay the $450 due in NY (and a reinstatement fee???) then the suspension may be lifted but I have not received a definite answer on this. Also I DID have insurance and do not think it fair that I should pay a fine for something I did not do. ALSO, my license supposedly was suspended due to failure to respond BUT I DID respond and have certified mail receipt to prove it.

At this point after all is said in done I will end up paying at least a few hundred dollars on top of the original traffic fines. I have received only these two traffic violations in 15 years. Do I need an attorney?

ETA: I called NY DMV yesterday and asked about my default conviction. The woman who answered said it was still open. I called again today and they said that my application had been denied yesterday. I called yesterday around 4pm so it must have been denied right after that - what a coinkadink!
Last edited by W.G. : Yesterday at 10:56 AM.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">