• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

expired license

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aurora40

What is the name of your state? Ohio

Hello I have a bit of a problem.. situation goes as follows. In January of 2007 I was cited for driving with an expired drivers license (I had just turned 25 in December of 2006 so it was not even a month expired). I didn't realize that it was such a big deal to not renew your license exactly as you turn 25 in Ohio, ignorantly assuming there was some sort of grace period. I paid the ticket and figured it was no big deal, until now when I am shopping for insurance quotes. Apparently they are telling me that it was considered a Major traffic violation and that it is equivalent to getting a DUI. I was not under the impression that this was such a huge deal and that is why I never even thought to fight it at that time. Now it is coming back to haunt me. I know it has been over a year, but is there anything that can be done?
I am not sure how long this will take to clear from my record, but another large problem is that I am currently going to graduate school to become a health care professional and I was told that in order to be credentialed by insurance companies you can not have any major incidences on your record, would this be considered a major incident? I mean it was only a month that it was expired?

Any suggestions? Please I am desperate!!

FlyingRon

The "grace" period applies to renewing the license after it expires without having to take driving tests, etc.. over. It doesn't cover DRIVING on the expired license. You don't have to renew it exactly on the expiration date, they will let you renew it earlier (up to 90 days and you still get the same renewal date on the new one).

If a clean record is important to you, see a lawyer and see what he can do for you with regard to the charge.

Hey There

Ball is in your court

There's a difference to getting a driver's licence renewed LATE and paying the fine before being issued a new licence
AND
between having a driver's licence suspended or driving while a licence has been suspended.
Are the insurance companies you checked with confusing a suspended licence for one renewed late?
The DMV in Ohio should be able to give you a copy of your driving record.
Let us know how this goes.

Hey There

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">