• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dropped Charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kevinkent

What is the name of your state? Oregon

I was recently pulled over in OR and I now live in ID. I found out that I was accused of a rape III charge over 6 yrs. ago and was arrested. First of all I was not read my rights nor fingerprinted, will this hurt me? Secondly I know that this was a false charge from a 16 yr old when I was 20, once I have been arrested on that warrant is she allowed to drop the charges now that she is older and wiser or would I generally have to show up and plead not guilty at an arraignment? My apologies if these questions are simplistic but this is my first time being arrested and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Respectfully,

Kevin Kent

racer72

I was recently pulled over in OR and I now live in ID.
The only state that matters is the one where the alledged crime happened.

I found out that I was accused of a rape III charge over 6 yrs.
Not good. You could end up in jail for a few years.

First of all I was not read my rights nor fingerprinted, will this hurt me?
Hurt? No. Won't help either. Your Miranda rights are only required prior to questioning. If you weren't questioned, it don't matter. If you were, it won't be admissable in court. Fingerprinting would only happen if they don't have any or they could positively identify you without them.

Secondly I know that this was a false charge from a 16 yr old when I was 20,
If it was a false charge, you would not have been arrested. The charges are real.

once I have been arrested on that warrant is she allowed to drop the charges now that she is older and wiser or would I generally have to show up and plead not guilty at an arraignment?
It's not up to the victim if charges are dropped, that is the decision of the prosecutor's office. Yes, you will have to show up at the arraignment.

My apologies if these questions are simplistic but this is my first time being arrested and any help would be greatly appreciated.
I would suggest hiring an attorney. If you can't afford one, ask for a public defender at your arraignment.

kevinkent

I understand the charges are real, I meant to say the allegation is false. Why would this warrant not show up on any prior employment backround checks? If i would have known about it I could have turned myself in to contest it. Thanks for all the education it is greatly appreciated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">