• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Probate and murder

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tlmumford

What is the name of your state? Mississippi
I have not seen my parent in 24 years. I recently found him while watching the news. It seems he has killed his wife of 20 years. He has 3 children I just found out about. They are wanting to sell all of his assets. I want to know if I can lock his property up in probate. I know I will have to wait for him to be found guilty, before the courts can do any thing with his assets. I also need to know what state to file in if I can. His property is in Alabama. He has a total of 8 children, but the 3 in Alabama say they will sell everything and keep all proceeds.

nextwife

What is the name of your state? Mississippi
I have not seen my parent in 24 years. I recently found him while watching the news. It seems he has killed his wife of 20 years. He has 3 children I just found out about. They are wanting to sell all of his assets. I want to know if I can lock his property up in probate. I know I will have to wait for him to be found guilty, before the courts can do any thing with his assets. I also need to know what state to file in if I can. His property is in Alabama. He has a total of 8 children, but the 3 in Alabama say they will sell everything and keep all proceeds.
Remember that assets he held jointly with his late wife are also part of HER estate, and only half his.

Who is "they"?

ladybg1

Since he is still alive, he can sell anything he wants or he can give his other kids POA to do so. If he was supposed to pay child support for you when you were growing up & did not, you can probably sue him for that child support. If you were successful, then a lien could be put on his property to get payment. The probate for his now deceased wife has nothing to do with you unless you have some sort of judgement against your father. Sounds like you may have come out better in life by not having contact with him.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">