• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Arrested for VOP but no longer on Probation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? Florida

My girlfriend was once before charged wtih theft to deprive(not arrested). She went to court, paid her fees, and took a court mandated class, and placed on three month's probation. In her last month of probation, she was pulled over in my car, the tag had just expired same month. She was not arrested then. She went to court and before the judge, he imposed court cost and that was it, not arrested for VOP. She also went to her Probation officer who told her everything should be fine. So now probation is over. Now today I was driving and three officers pulled me over( broward county standard), it was because my license had been suspendd due to toll violation from years ago, that suddenly creeps up. So they say i cant drive, and ask her if she can, she says yes and they run her license to see if she's clear, when they do they arrest her for vop. which from our understanding had been cleared up. So now my question is what do we do. it's sunday so no lawyers are available. how long will they keep her in jail. how much could i possibly be paying for bail if any?

outonbail

What is the name of your state? Florida

My girlfriend was once before charged wtih theft to deprive(not arrested). She went to court, paid her fees, and took a court mandated class, and placed on three month's probation.
Just to clear up any misconceptions you may have, when someone goes to court, is found or pleads guilty and pays fines/is placed on probation, they were arrested!
In her last month of probation, she was pulled over in my car, the tag had just expired same month. She was not arrested then. She went to court and before the judge, he imposed court cost and that was it, not arrested for VOP. She also went to her Probation officer who told her everything should be fine. So now probation is over. Now today I was driving and three officers pulled me over( broward county standard), it was because my license had been suspendd due to toll violation from years ago, that suddenly creeps up.
I assume you were found guilty of the violation and then didn't pay the fine correct?
So they say i cant drive, and ask her if she can, she says yes and they run her license to see if she's clear, when they do they arrest her for vop. which from our understanding had been cleared up. So now my question is what do we do. it's sunday so no lawyers are available. how long will they keep her in jail. how much could i possibly be paying for bail if any?
She will most likely see a judge tomorrow morning, Tuesday the latest. If what you post is accurate, she will be released.
However, I wouldn't put too much confidence in the three month probation/only got pulled over for expired registration story. While I'm not from Florida, the three months probation doesn't sound right. I would have to believe it would be at least a year. However, if she did not pay her fines from that incident or not pay the fines for driving with the expired registration, her probation would have been violated. She will find out what exactly the reason for the violation was when she appears in court.

If you have bail money, I think it would be wiser for you to pay your fines with it, and clear up your legal issues so you don't get into this type of situation and suck your girlfriend into it again as well.

BL

If she would have been released from probation , she would have received a letter confirming the termination of probation and the termination effective date and time ( midnight ) .

Just to clear up any misconceptions you may have, when someone goes to court, is found or pleads guilty and pays fines/is placed on probation, they were arrested!

Please inform me on how being charged, found guilty or paying fees, in any way means she was arrested. When she committed the crime she was not arrested, she was given a NTA.
And yes she was given 3 months probation. It's amazing how you can post all the information a person may need to give a response but something inside them tells them that theres more to it. Like you said, you're not from FLORIDA. Dont assume that you know more. Use what info you're given and go from there. Thanks.
The toll vviolation was something i was never aware of, i have no problem paying tolls, it went unnoticed and into collection which then suspended my license. So no I didnt suck her down with me, she made that decision to steal, not me.

But yea, she did get those papers about being released from probation. She actually just got home on ROR she has to go to court at a later time. We just have to figure out what to do from here, and find out why the probation officers never notified us or why the judge she saw last didnt clear matters as stated

Last edited:

BL

Please inform me on how being charged, found guilty or paying fees, in any way means she was arrested. When she committed the crime she was not arrested, she was given a NTA.
And yes she was given 3 months probation. It's amazing how you can post all the information a person may need to give a response but something inside them tells them that theres more to it. Like you said, you're not from FLORIDA. Dont assume that you know more. Use what info you're given and go from there. Thanks.
The toll vviolation was something i was never aware of, i have no problem paying tolls, it went unnoticed and into collection which then suspended my license. So no I didnt suck her down with me, she made that decision to steal, not me.

But yea, she did get those papers about being released from probation. She actually just got home on ROR she has to go to court at a later time. We just have to figure out what to do from here, and find out why the probation officers never notified us or why the judge she saw last didnt clear matters as stated
NTA - Notice to Appear. A person who receives an NTA is being arrested, just not physically. The person will be summoned to court and will appear before a judge. The notice is similar to a traffic ticket.

Then she needs to take the notice of probation termination with her to court .

What do you mean the probation office never notified " US " ?

Where you on probation too ?

Last edited:

will her being on or off probation be a issue here? because either way the judge signed a warrant for her arrest, the issue is really why they did it. let me ask, shouldnt she have been arrested when she appeared to court for the initial violation? why let her go and then issue a warrant? and isn't it a responsibility of the probation officer to do the same when they had their meetings. why should she have gotten arrested now, esp when probation is over?

BL

will her being on or off probation be a issue here? because either way the judge signed a warrant for her arrest, the issue is really why they did it. let me ask, shouldnt she have been arrested when she appeared to court for the initial violation? why let her go and then issue a warrant? and isn't it a responsibility of the probation officer to do the same when they had their meetings. why should she have gotten arrested now, esp when probation is over?
No one can tell you why she had a warrant for VOP .

As I stated if she has the letter stating her probation has/had ended on a certain date , she takes that with her .

Normally the PO starts the VOP .

There may have been a mix up .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">