• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case? (Bay Area, CA)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bautista3000

I posted something about this a while back, but I can't find my original post, so let me quickly sum it up: I got pulled over for going "80+" on I-280 at 2am and had cruise control set to 75mph. The cop claimed to have followed me for 3 miles, but I believe they were too far behind to be monitoring my speed (I was looking in my mirror every 10 seconds and any headlights were at least a half-mile away [on a curvy road]). When the cop finally pulled me over, I was exiting/merging onto another freeway and had slowed down to about 60mph by the time the cop was in any position to gauge my speed. The cops claimed I was going "about 80mph" and refused to show me the radar.

My ticket is for violation VC-22349A: Maximum Speed Limit 65mph.

At first I thought I could argue that I was going under the speed the wrote me down for (80+), but I guess any mention of me going over 65mph would make me guilty. Do I have any chance of beating this ticket or should I just pay the fine? Thanks in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The only thing I have to say is that there is no requirement whatsoever for the officer to show you the radar.
I'm sure Jim will be along to help with the rest...

JIMinCA

Did he use radar? It should say so on the ticket.

Basically, the only thing you can do is request discovery and hope you learn of a good defense. There is lots of discussion here about discovery requests and who they should be served upon.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">