• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ridiculus ticket...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

boruch

hello, I'm new here, but I hope you'll help me.
I have recently gotten a moving violation ticket in NJ (pallasaides exit 1 rest area), the ticket is for maintenance of lamps (3-66) and is written about my headlights.
the problems are as follows:
1) my car was legally parked at the time (i was not in it).
2) all of the lamps including headlights work and worked fine.
I've called them but was told to appear in court, which will cost me about tickets price (54$) in gas and tolls.
is there anything I can do??? please help.
p.s. they have also told that I can't send in a notorized latter since I live too close (hour away).
thanks.
boruchWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, you're saying that it will cost you more to fight it than to pay it?

It seems like a pretty clear answer to me...

EDIT: Assuming this is a zero-point ticket.

boruch

well yes, if there is no way out I will pay instead of wasting a day of work, but I was hoping there is a way out.
oh and there is no points since there was NO driver to give the ticket to.
p.s. there should be a way to make the city pay my expences by crazy tickets (though knowing goverments very unlikely).

Maestro64

Are you say he wrote a ticket for a non functional headlight and did so when the car was not even operating or didn't even see it operating. I am assuming he left the ticket on the windshield?

Obviously if this was true this is pretty easy to beat, since the officer "expert witness" had no clue what he was doing.

If you fight and win in court you could ask the judge to make the town compensate you for your losses since their officer was irresponsible. He most likely will not do it, but you might catch him on a day where he is feeling generous and not too happen with the local police.

But it never hurts to ask, you could always fill a small claims suite, I've seen people do this and win for actions a town or its police did to someone property or person.

Maestro64

It is called when the blackmail amount is less then standing up for your rights go ahead and pay.

It has nothing to do with Economics since Economics is about paying for goods and service and sometime it is better to go the lesser path.

There are few people here who will be wondering why no one helped them when the ****s come for them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">