• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding Ticket For Higher MPH than Cruise Control

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DJDJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? GA

I was pulled over for doing 76 in a 55. I specifically had my cruise control set at 70MPH because on I-285 in Atlanta if you DON'T do 70, you'll get run off the road. Now I don't have a problem with paying a fine for 70 in a 55, because I admit I was speeding, but how in the world can he say he clocked me at 76 unless my speedometer was off? Plus, I thought about this later...he never offered me an opportunity to see the calibration of the laser. Aren't they supposed to offer that? I just got the ticket yesterday afternoon and haven't called to see how much it is, but I can bet that the difference between 15MPH over and 21MPH over is significant. I'm pretty burned up about this considering the circumstances...any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

racer72

I was pulled over for doing 76 in a 55.
Bummer.

I specifically had my cruise control set at 70MPH because on I-285 in Atlanta if you DON'T do 70, you'll get run off the road. Now I don't have a problem with paying a fine for 70 in a 55, because I admit I was speeding, but how in the world can he say he clocked me at 76 unless my speedometer was off?
When was the last time your speedometer was calibrated? There are many reasons for a discrepancy between the speedometer and your actual speed. Tire size and transmission wear are the most common.

I thought about this later...he never offered me an opportunity to see the calibration of the laser. Aren't they supposed to offer that?
The officer does not have to prove anything to you along side the road. That is what court is for.

I just got the ticket yesterday afternoon and haven't called to see how much it is, but I can bet that the difference between 15MPH over and 21MPH over is significant. I'm pretty burned up about this considering the circumstances...any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Nothing in your post suggests the ticket was not warranted. I would suggest talking to a local attorney to discuss your options. Or hang around here a bit longer, someone will try to make you a lawyer or traffic engineer in only 2 days!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Cruise controls have NEVER been known to maintain a speed "approximately", huh?

You don't even claim that you LOOKED at your speed...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">