• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

would a No Contest plea be wise?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jus_need_to_kno

Hello i am 17 and live in Ohio, US. i was in a little fender bender with minimual damages and i have to appear in juvenile court and i was wondering if a No Contest plea is the right decision. i didnt know if this plea would do me good or bad with the judge, obviously it differs with judges. this is my first offence with anything and i was just wanting some advise.

Thank you,
~Wanting Answers

justalayman

a no contest plea is often irrelevent and a judge doesn't really care if the plea is allowable in the situation. It is paramount to a guilty plea without lpeading guilty.

the only thing that this may mean to a judge is expecially because of your age, they may see it as not accepting responsibility for yuor actions. It is worth the trade off if there is a possibility of a civil suit.

In an accident situation, it can be beneficial. If you plead guilty, that can be used against you if you are sued in a civil suit. Pleading no contest avoids a trial but you are not admitting to guilt so claiming you are at fault (by your own admission) for the charge is not available to the plaintiff in a civil suit.

Last edited:

FlyingRon

For a traffic ticket it makes very little difference procedurally. In a lot of traffic courts you don't even enter a plea. The cop reads his particulars, the judge asks you for your side and then makes a judgment. If you have nothing to say, you will be found guilty (unless the cop is way off base).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">