• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate residue?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

normg65

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
Who gets the personal property of the estate not mentioned in the will ? Is it the executors call ?

tecate

You answered your own question. Does the will say something to the effect of "the rest (remainder)(residue) of my estate goes to **************" ?

normg65

No, the will says nothing. I had read a post in the archive that said whatever was not mentioned in the will, is divided according to intestate succesion. I dont believe the state was California.

anteater

No, the will says nothing. I had read a post in the archive that said whatever was not mentioned in the will, is divided according to intestate succesion. I dont believe the state was California.
Badly written will. California is sometimes quirky and I am sure that tecate will correct me, but I'd put my money on intestate succession. Nothing else would make much sense.

tecate

My learned colleague anteater is right. See if you can find an answer at Probate Code Section 6400 and following.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">