• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can an officer change typewritten information on a ticket?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Purple_Heart

California

The other day I made an illegal left turn and got a ticket for it. On the ticket, towards the bottom, it reads (in type), in reference to my court date: "WHEN: ON OR BEFORE THIS DATE: __/__/__..."

The officer then crossed off the "OR BEFORE" part, implying I can only come on the exact date that he assigned. I plan on contesting this via mail, so it doesn't really apply to me, but I'm just wondering, can an officer really cross off part of a ticket just because s/he wants to? Something about that just seems wrong to me, any thoughts?

Thanks!

garrula lingua

Yes, the officer can do this.

Possibly the court asked the law enf agency to do this in order to cut down on court traffic for a period of time ... maybe the officer is going on vacation ... maybe the court changed their policy of allowing walk-ins before the tickets could be entered into the system.

Whatever; it is perfectly OK.

Maestro64

I am not sure it can be altered, Some states have pre-printed tickets for a reason. One of those reasons is that the statutes clear call out what must be written on the ticket if that was the case the officer could have voided the ticket since he is now over ridding the state statue.

You would have to see what California says about what must be included on the ticket. Not sure why he would scratch out "or before" since court dates are set but the court and not the officer.

The only reason I can see scratching it out is that you can show up earlier to try and have a hearing and he was not there. But there is nothing stopping you from showing up and paying and being on your merry way if you so choose to do.

CdwJava

California

The other day I made an illegal left turn and got a ticket for it. On the ticket, towards the bottom, it reads (in type), in reference to my court date: "WHEN: ON OR BEFORE THIS DATE: __/__/__..."

The officer then crossed off the "OR BEFORE" part, implying I can only come on the exact date that he assigned. I plan on contesting this via mail, so it doesn't really apply to me, but I'm just wondering, can an officer really cross off part of a ticket just because s/he wants to? Something about that just seems wrong to me, any thoughts?

Thanks!
Yes, the officer can do that. All it means is that the person cited is expected to appear on that date. if he settles the case somehow before that, then obviously he won't have to appear.

It is likely a local policy that the officer is complying with. Or, the officer, the agency, or the local court have found people popping into the courthouse the day after the cite demanding to have the matter heard because "it says I can appear before this date."

This is an example of "no harm, no foul."

- Carl

occharge

Happened to come across this CVC section as I searched for something else today...

California Vehicle Code Section 40501. (a) The time specified in the notice to appear shall be a specific date which is at least 21 days after the arrest, except that the court having jurisdiction over the offense charged may authorize the arresting officer to specify on the notice that an appearance may be made before the time specified.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">