• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speeding ticket 82/65 for PA resident, trooper not wearing hat

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marvelous15

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I was pulled over today for doing 82 in a 65 and the state trooper was not wearing his hat. I have heard rumors that this isn't considered full uniform, and could therfore be thrown out, but I don't know for sure. Any advice or help on this would be much appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I was pulled over today for doing 82 in a 65 and the state trooper was not wearing his hat. I have heard rumors that this isn't considered full uniform, and could therfore be thrown out, but I don't know for sure. Any advice or help on this would be much appreciated.
Ummm
Ummm
You are kidding, right? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Maestro64

This only applies if he was in an unmarked car. The rule in PA is you do not have to stop for an unmarked car unless the officer is in full uniform and the PSP define that as being the hat as well.

here is the PA rule

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/037/chapter42/s42.21.html

So unless he was in a unmarked car and was not in official uniform then he can not initiated the stop in the first place. Do you have a picture?

some more information

§ 3328. Unmarked police vehicles.
(a) General rule.--The Pennsylvania State Police, in consultation with the department, shall
promulgate regulations for the use of unmarked vehicles by police officers. The regulations shall:
(1) establish the procedure to be used by a police officer in an unmarked vehicle when
stopping a motorist;
(2) require the use of audible and visual signals which meet the requirements and
standards set forth in this title and in regulations adopted by the department; and
(3) establish requirements for the wearing of an official police uniform and the display
of official police identification.
(b) Public awareness.--The Pennsylvania State Police and the department shall provide for the
dissemination of information to the public regarding the use of unmarked vehicles. Such information shall
accompany annual vehicle registration or vehicle registration renewal forms distributed by the department
no earlier than July 1, 2002.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">