• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor will not execute/distribute estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Whiskee8

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My brother is the primary executor of my mother's estate. I am the secondary. My sister is only listed as a beneficiary. My mother died in 2005. The estate is considered cash poor, had a home improvement loan to pay back, and only asset is the house. Accounting has been completed, however, my brother continually wants to update newly found receipts to this date...believe this is a reason for delay. I do not feel this is right. He should pay her.

Home improvement loan has been paid back out of the estate. I have been paid my share of the assets. However, my sister has not been paid. My brother has not even given her the accounting. House is in my brother's name I believe.

Today, received notice of a hearing in August as to why estate cannot be executed. Sister is also asking for legal fees to be paid.

How does this affect me? Legal consequences? What do I need to do to prepare for the hearing? What else do I need to know to best handle the situation to prevent legal consequences?

Please advise,
WhiskeeWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

Maybe I am just dense, but I find this confusing. There is a house. Otherwise, there is not much cash. But there was a home improvement loan that was paid off from estate funds. The house apparently has not been sold. Yet, you have been paid your share of the assets. :confused: :confused:

What legal consequences are you apprehesive about? Why do you think that you have to prepare for this hearing?

In any event, it probably would not be wise to spend anything you received until the dust settles.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">