• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sheriff's Dept shows warrant, Clerk of Courts does not...??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

A friend was pulled over back in 2004 for a burned out headlight. The cop smelled booze on him, so took him to the hospitol for a test, so we assume there was also a DUI charge. He moved shortly afterward, and never recieved any paperwork (and stupidly just ignored it). He believes there is a bench warrant on him, and I'm trying to talk him into dealing with this because it is ruining his life.

I went to the Clerk of Courts office, and NO mention of this incedant shows on his record. I asked the worker 3 times if there is a warrant on him, and she said NO. She explained that if there was a warrant, a red W would show up.

There is NO police record, no hearing info, or anything.

When I told my friend this, he insisted that I call the Sheriff's Dept**************..they say YES there IS a warrant. I asked the worker why it didn't show up at the Clerk of Courts, and he didn't know.

How do I find out for sure who is right?? Something just doesn't seem right here.

outonbail

The sheriff is probably right. They have access to NCIC and the county clerk probably does not. The clerk may just have access to local information, or they are working with a smaller data base that offers less information and/or only records of recently issued warrants.
Whichever the case may be, I'm sure the sheriff department would be the more reliable source for warrant information.

Not to mention, your friend has told you there is a warrant out for him and since a warrant for your arrest, isn't exactly something one should be proud of, or something that provides him bragging rights, I would say he's telling you the truth and there is an active warrant out for his arrest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">