• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pregnancy from Rape

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lesther

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask the question. If a woman is raped and ends up fighting the rapist (after the actual rape, but she still feels threatened) and, in the fight, ends up killing him, and as a result of the rape a pregnancy ensues, can the rapist's surviving next-of-kin sue the victim for adoption of the baby? (or have legal rights that could demand the victim not get an abortion?)...

Thanks in advance.

Just Blue

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask the question. If a woman is raped and ends up fighting the rapist (after the actual rape, but she still feels threatened) and, in the fight, ends up killing him, and as a result of the rape a pregnancy ensues, can the rapist's surviving next-of-kin sue the victim for adoption of the baby? (or have legal rights that could demand the victim not get an abortion?)...

Thanks in advance.
We don't answer hypothetical questions her....

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm thinking this has to do with a similar post in the Grandparents Right forum.
OP - no, you cannot keep the victim of the rape from aborting. Furthermore, you would likely have NO standing whatsoever for custody of the child.

Thanks in advance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">