• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA-3111A for an out of state driver

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

drivingquestion

Hello, I have a NY drivers license but attend school in PA. I was using a PhillyCarShare car and was pulled over for making a left turn at an intersection where such turns are apparently not allowed. The officer gave me a 3111-A ticket (non-obedience to traffic device) ticket and said it carries no points. I am curious how this affects my NY license points though. I've read in some places that 3111-A doesn't go on PA driving record so I'm curious if it would go onto my NY driving record (would PA not notify NY since it's not on the PA record?). If it does get forwarded to NY, is it likely to cause any increase in premiums? I have had no tickets/moving violations of any sort in the last 7 years (I'm 25). Thank you for any advice.

Maestro64

First Insurance premiums only increase if your driving record is checked by your insurance company. Not all insurance companies check all their drivers all the time, it is too costly for them to check everyone every year, unless you live in MASS, where the state tells the insurance companies who has tickets.

Given that, insurance companies rank people base on risk, you just pass one of the risk factors being under 25. So it would be hard to say whether they would check you or not, if you have been clean this total time, they might classify you as low risk, assuming you been with the same company all this time.

Yes 3111 in PA is a no point ticket, also, PA does not require local courts to report all tickets to them only tickets with points, they leave no-point tickets up to local discretion. If it does not get report to the state it will not get report to NY. If it does get reported to the state of PA and PA notifies NY, it may not effect your license. I know NY have special deals with some states, but most times out of state tickets do not cause points to show show up in your home state unless it a serious infraction like DUI or reckless driving.

As you can see there is no guarantee either way, all you really need to know is what NY does when a ticket is reported to them, do they assign points no matter what or do they just record it. Some home states assign their own points based on the offense. Check and see what happens in NY.

Last edited:

occharge

First Insurance premiums only increase if your driving record is checked by your insurance company. Not all insurance companies check all their drivers all the time, it is too costly for them to check everyone every year, unless you live in MASS, where the state tells the insurance companies who has tickets.

Given that, insurance companies rank people base on risk, you just pass one of the risk factors being under 25. So it would be hard to say whether they would check you or not, if you have been clean this total time, they might classify you as low risk, assuming you been with the same company all this time.

Yes 3111 in PA is a no point ticket, also, PA does not require local courts to report all tickets to them only tickets with points, they leave no-point tickets up to local discretion. If it does not get report to the state it will not get report to NY. If it does get reported to the state of PA and PA notifies NY, it may not effect your license. I know NY have special deals with some states, but most times out of state tickets do not cause points to show show up in your home state unless it a serious infraction like DUI or reckless driving.

As you can see there is no guarantee either way, all you really need to know is what NY does when a ticket is reported to them, do they assign points no matter what or do they just record it. Some home states assign their own points based on the offense. Check and see what happens in NY.
Pretty informative post there; thank you for the info.

I cannot disute anything you said nor do I intend on arguing it... But, would you say that with a new policy (the first time one signs up with a new carrier) an application will definately go through underwriting & the insured's driving record will be carefully scrutinized?
Correct?

Also, why do you think that it is costly for an insurance company to check everybody's record once a year?

I assume that they have a source to that information so one would safely assume that any premium increase that they might be able to justify due to new info that they might find... And all those potential premium increases would end up more than paying for the payrol time invested in running checks on policy owners come renewal time! Wouldn't it?

My appologies to the OP for the non-intentional thread-jack!

Last edited:

Maestro64

First my source of information comes from a couple different people who work in the insurance industry and I have asked them many of the same questions and the answers are all about the same but does vary by company and state a bit. Some of it is based on personal experience where I have gotten tickets and choose not to contest it and took the points.

I can say I've never seen my premiums increase due to tickets. Actually ever year my premiums have gone down except when I replaced and old car with a new car. Also, with State Farm who I have even if they did happen to their random check when I had points I would only loose my good drive discount which 10% on the one vehicle which is primary to me not all my cars. I would loose this for as long as I had points, Now if they checked again and saw more points they would begin jacking my rates.

I did finally find out why my premiums decrease every year. As the car ages the replacement costs drop so do the premium on the comprehensive portion of the insurance.

Pretty informative post there; thank you for the info.

I cannot disute anything you said nor do I intend on arguing it... But, would you say that with a new policy (the first time one signs up with a new carrier) an application will definately go through underwriting & the insured's driving record will be carefully scrutinized?
Correct?
It is my understanding they check everything, even more then you think these days, including your credit history. Face it, they either want the lowest risk person they can find thus less likely to make a payment out or if your a risk they want to be able to know how bad so they can charge you as much as they can. Whether you like it or not, today they feel if you had poor grades in school and a bade credit history the figure you lack poor decision making abilities thus more likely to have an accident.

Also, why do you think that it is costly for an insurance company to check everybody's record once a year?

I assume that they have a source to that information so one would safely assume that any premium increase that they might be able to justify due to new info that they might find... And all those potential premium increases would end up more than paying for the payrol time invested in running checks on policy owners come renewal time! Wouldn't it?
Because states charge for this information, except MASS which kindly hands over the information, but they have state controlled premiums. At this time this information is not electronically transfer so that means the insurance companies must make a formal request per person and pay a fee for each request. Plus it is about calculated risk for them, check everyone or check the few who you know might turn up a ticket and jack their premiums.

So people like me who get a valid ticket once in a blue moon get away with no premium hikes since I am low risk and because the insurance companies tend to focus on people who they know will most like offend and they can make more.

One last point about this, I also found out your likelihood of being checked increases base on your independent agent if you have one. Some agents who have a large number of high risk drivers tend to have all their clients checked. This why you should shop around for an agent, not all agents are the same for the same insurance company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">