• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is text messaging illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steve391

NYS
Hi,
I've been contacted by a detective wanting to speak with me in regards to text messages I sent to an athlete I coached this spring. The parents of the girl reported it to the school and the school found no wrong-doing on my part. They said I crossed a professional boudary, told me not to do anything like that again, but no further action was taken. I'm assuming that the parents have now gone to the police, to try and take criminal action against me. I did nothing more than send a few text messages, none of which were sexually explicit. The police want me to call them on Tuesday, but I'm obviously scared. Is it at all possible I committed a criminal offense, simply by texting a student? Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your assistance.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I did nothing more than send a few text messages, none of which were sexually explicit.
What were the messages? It's unlikely the parents would request police intervention if the message was "Don't forget to bring your cleats to the next game."

Also, how old are you and how old is the athlete?

kjizzle

NYS
Hi,
I've been contacted by a detective wanting to speak with me in regards to text messages I sent to an athlete I coached this spring. The parents of the girl reported it to the school and the school found no wrong-doing on my part. They said I crossed a professional boudary, told me not to do anything like that again, but no further action was taken. I'm assuming that the parents have now gone to the police, to try and take criminal action against me. I did nothing more than send a few text messages, none of which were sexually explicit. The police want me to call them on Tuesday, but I'm obviously scared. Is it at all possible I committed a criminal offense, simply by texting a student? Any advice you could give would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for your assistance.
Speaking as a Mom I would say the parents must feel your text's had something in them or an insinuation of something inappropriate. Why would you be text messaging a teenager that you have not seen since you coached her last spring? And what were the messages pertaining to? I do not see the parents getting upset enough to go to the school and police if it were not inappropriate messages. With all the things going on these days about teachers/coaches being inappropriate with their students one has to be very careful as their actions may be misconstrued.

las365

the school found no wrong-doing on my part. They said I crossed a professional boudary...
Now, you see, crossing a professional boundary would be wrong-doing.

You are either being disingenuous or are really clueless. Your employer told you that your actions were inappropriate and the girl's parents have gone to the police, yet you still act as if you just have no idea why anyone is upset - all you did was send a text message. You aren't helping yourself, in my opinion.

You need a lawyer immediately.

Silverplum

Now, you see, crossing a professional boundary would be wrong-doing.

You are either being disingenuous or are really clueless. Your employer told you that your actions were inappropriate and the girl's parents have gone to the police, yet you still act as if you just have no idea why anyone is upset - all you did was send a text message. You aren't helping yourself, in my opinion.

You need a lawyer immediately.
Seconded, with vigor.

xylene

You do not have to answer any police questions.

You should not answer any questions about this.

You should not meet or speak with the police under any circumstance.

The schools opinion has nothing to do with a criminal investigation.

In my opinion, if the text messages amounted to criminal conduct, you would be already arrested.

The detective is trying you get you to hang yourself by admitting something.
Don't do it. Don't talk.

You need a lawyer, or at least one on speed dial.

I would also consult a psychiatrist to see why this matter is crystal to the world, but has caught you off guard and is opaque.

And to bluntly answer your stupid title question:

No text messaging is not universally illegal, but sexually soliciting a minor (esp from an authority / coach role) IS ILLEGAL.

Get it. This isn't about a text message.

Last edited:

Trini85

Perhaps if you mention what the text messages were about we'd have some idea what's going on. You didn't really give much to go on.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
For the record, the student may not be a minor. She may be a college student. I do think she's a high school student, it just has that kind of "vibe", but that hasn't been clearly established yet.

But these questions will apparently remain unanswered.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">