• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

SR-22 saga

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnadams

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? UTAH

In 2004 according to the "Justice Court" I was cited to "no proof of insurance". In 2006 my state tax return was hit for $250 and again in 2007 for $250. Did I pay attention? No.
Last week got a letter from my insurance company they will cancel my insurance this Thursday because ChoicePoint notified them that I have no driver's license. ChoicePoint acquires the information from the State. The State revoked my license on the 'recommendation' of the "Justice Court". I visited the Justice Court and spoke with a number of different "Hearing Officers" none of whom could tell the story in quite the same way. They read the case and scratched their heads, visited with each other, went into the back room... no one really can tell from the docket what did or did not happen. They provided me a "Clearance of Failure to Appear" with a 'Disposition" of "bail forfiture". After dancing with the State and the City and after they talk to each other about this, they demand an SR-22 which will double my premiums.
No arraignment.
Never seen an information.
No plea entered.
Never saw a judge.
Never been to trial.
No record of a sentencing.
No points on my driving record.

Did see a hearing officer.... they aren't sure if I "appeared" or not. I had a warrant for failure to appear but the docket shows I did appear at the court and spoke with a hearing officer.
I got hit with $500 for which I have a 'clearance' for failure to appear.
Nothing about the no insurance issue.
The 'crime' of no proof of insurance is a class B misdemeanor, i.e. criminal and not an 'infraction'..
I am told by the Justice Court that "bail forfiture" is the same as a "guilty plea". Except that I didn't get to plea.

I asked if I had been convicted. I was told the conviction date was the 'clearance date' of 7-18-2007.

Normally in a Justice Court one can ask for trial de novo within 30 days. I asked the hearing officer and he stated that pigs will fly before I get an appeal.

Well, help me. Coach me. I'm stupid but I can learn.

It is bizzar to me that the city courts can do this crap and get a way with it. What happened to criminal procedure?

Any ideas????What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">