• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

first offense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

coachesmom

I ask again, what are the chances of a first offender in MA going to jail for Assault 2? Student athlete, strong community service in his background. Never been in trouble before and has been attending anger management counseling since the alledged assault. Already been before a magistrate, now on to the next level.
Has anyone been there before????:(What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Curt581

I ask again, what are the chances of a first offender in MA going to jail for Assault 2? Student athlete, strong community service in his background. Never been in trouble before and has been attending anger management counseling since the alledged assault.
My guess is your chances of spending some time in jail are pretty good... IF you keep referring to the incident as an "alleged" assault. That implies that you don't feel an assault even happened, let alone acknowledging your responsiblity. Believe me, the victim doesn't see this as an alleged assault. He knows darn well it happened.

Calling it an "alleged" assault doesn't demonstrate any remorse, something that is a prerequisite for minimum sentences. To many judges, it counts much more than having no prior record, because those who are remorseful are (supposedly) less likely to do it again.

Leave out the phrase "student athlete". It won't help you since, to many non-athletes, it equates to "spoiled jock".... in this context, one with a temper to boot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">