• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bench Warrant

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kat308

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

Earlier tonight my husband and I went to our local police department to file harassment charges against his ex wife. While we were there, they notified us that my husband had a bench warrant issued back in early 2003 for aggravated harassment. Allegedly from a former coworker. They took him into custody and refused to let him go until tomorrow when he goes before a judge for bail. He was never notified of any court hearing. If he had, he would have gone. Why would they just let this sit for almost 4 yrs? Why wouldn't they have notified him. They told me that the desk sargent could set his bail since it was nothing major. But they are keeping him overnight. He has lived at the same address for longer and been at the same employer so they would have been able to notify him. What can he expect at his court appearance? I don't know if they even allowed him to call our family attorney. I tried but was unable.

NYKnowitall

Well, in my NY experiance, they did notify him, when they arrested him. He definately would have been served that a judge wants to see him, and when he ignored that the judge issued a bench warent for his apperiance and i'm sure the judge wanted to see him, after 4 years. Did he know he was harassing his co worker, and was he fired or arrested for it back then? What grounds does the co worker have to alledge harrassment.

Theres more to this story I'm sure but...

It will all work out in the morning if it hasnt already and with some easy luck, your husband will be ACOD'd and you wont have to worry about it again.

kat308

The police said they sent a notice to appear in court. I get the mail everyday and nothing was ever received. He received a copy of the reoprt when he was released. It said she received the call between 11-12:30 pm. Impossible because he is home every night.

There is more to the story. My hisband and this woman always got along fine. I myself spent alot of time there and saw their relationship. She used to let me hang out there along as his work got done. When he gave his two week notice and she started to pick at him. He ignored until one day she cursed him in front of customers. He told her she couldn't speak with him that way and walked out. I called me right away and I told him to call the disrtict manager. I went with my husband to meet the district manager. He told my husband that he was fired for walking out and not notifying him which he did right away and my husband said he quit and go ahead and call it what he wanted. He already had a new job with better hours and better pay. When we went to a different company (same kind of store) so my husband could get a second job, the manager told us he knew this woman and he was afraid to hire my husband because this woman had a history of ruining peoples lives or making them miserable. She did at some point receive call and she told my husband and I but she blamed to other former employees that did not get along with her. We are the ones that told her to call the police.

I am in the process of getting all phone records for the time period in question.

When we prove that he did not do this, can we file charges of filing a false police report? Can she be sued ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">