• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair Financial Gain's from Death

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gotcats

Unfair Financial Gain's from Death

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texas
My grandmother had been taken to court for eviction by her son. The court ruled in her favor 2X due to a letter the son had given her in the beginning stateing she could live on his land for as long as she lived ,no charge , no matter what.
My grandmother died recently and her son chained up access to her mobile home and filed trespassing charges against family members .He retained a lawyer to send the estate a letter demanding storage fees for the mobile home starting on the day of her death and claimed ownership of the garage,screened in backporch, front porch, all fencing & landscaping that my grandmother paid for and was attached to her mobile home.
The estate's lawyer said it would cost more to fight for the structures then they were worth.
We sold the mobile home & all structures had to be detached.The son demanded the structures be left intac and standing which required extra cost for bracing which he refused to do. The estate had to pay 650.00 to detach & brace them. Now the estate is be billed by the son for cleanup of debris left after the removal of mobile home.
The son was removed from her will after the son tried to evict her and continued to harrass her the last 2 years of her life.(the son is technically my dad)
My questions are:Isn't there some time frame for family to settle an estate? Is the son legal in gaining financially from my grandmother's death?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

He is technically NOT gaining financially--or at least that is a poor way to phrase it. What he is doing is collecting compensation for expenses that he is legally allowed to bill for.

Farfalla

Did you read my post?
How many years did he allow your grandmother to live there free? How much did everyone else in the family help her? This is not a legal issue but just trying to figure out why everyone is turning on your dad who obviously helped your grandmother to the tune of thousands of dollars.

Can you give a list, an accouting of the amounts you think he is profiting here? Because from what you posted above it sounds more like you dad was left with a lot of things to deal with. For example:

Garage: $ xxxxx
Porch: $ xxxxx
some structures: $ xxxxx
landscapig: $ xxxxx

What did the family plan to do with the garage, landscaping, and other structures that are on your father's land? Were you going to cart off the garage? How much could it be sold for if it were removed from your father's property? HOw much would it cost to remove these things?

Tell me... how does one remove 'landscaping'? It's on his property. What do you want to do? Go dig up the plants?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">