• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

PA Adoption Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bubslilnoof

I'm in the adoption process in the state of PA. My ex wants her husband to adopt my children. I have received the consent agreement, but I'm afraid that I will be giving up all of my rights, even if the adoption doesn't go through. Does anyone know what happens to my rights if the adoption falls through?

CourtClerk

If you allow someone to adopt your children, you no longer have children. They aren't yours anymore.

If the adoption does not go through, then you remain the childrens' father, but it does put the court on notice that you are not interested in being a parent to the children you brought into the world.

bubslilnoof

Unfortunately, we live in different states which makes it very difficult to have any kind of relationship. We were only 17 when we had our children and have both married since. My ex hasn't allowed me to be a part of their lives since she has remarried. They have a full time dad that is there with them and raising them for the last 8 years, so I'm okay with the adoption. I just want to make sure that if for whatever reason the judge declines the adoption that I haven't given up all rights as their father.

CourtClerk

Unfortunately, we live in different states which makes it very difficult to have any kind of relationship.
It's only as difficult as you allow it to be.
We were only 17 when we had our children and have both married since.
So you put more effort into having a relationship with someone that you could have sex with, than your children. Let's call a spade a spade.
My ex hasn't allowed me to be a part of their lives since she has remarried.
And what have you done through the legal channels to ensure that you can remain a part of their lives? Nothing? Thought not. I know, you can't afford it. How much did you spend dating your new wife? How much did you spend on the wedding? How much have you spent on outings, food, gifts, etc.? Thought so.
They have a full time dad that is there with them and raising them for the last 8 years, so I'm okay with the adoption.
No, they don't have a dad. They have their mother's husband, who is NOT their father, but from the looks of it, should be since you are not interested in taking the job.
I just want to make sure that if for whatever reason the judge declines the adoption that I haven't given up all rights as their father.
Do everyone a favor and make sure that EVERYTHING IN YOUR POWER is done to make sure that adoption goes through. Write the judge. Write your congressman. Give your ex a ton of money to hire a kick ass attorney. Heck, send me her address, I'll take up a collection. These kids deserve to have a legal FATHER... a MAN in their lives that gives a darn about them... instead of the inconvenience of it all.

CourtClerk

I'm looking for legal advice, not your opinion! That is what this website is intended for, isn't it?
You got the legal advice, the opinion is a bonus. Think of it as a buy one, get one free offer.

Oh, and I have YET to give you my opinion. However, you really should help her push this adoption forward. For the sake of these children, who again, need a father.

bubslilnoof

There's nothing legal about your response! Do you have nothing better to do with your time besides harrassing people that are looking for help?

CourtClerk

There's nothing legal about your response! Do you have nothing better to do with your time besides harrassing people that are looking for help?
On top of being irresponsible, you obviously don't comprehend well. I'll replay your legal answer, this time read it slowly:

If you allow someone to adopt your children, you no longer have children. They aren't yours anymore.

If the adoption does not go through, then you remain the childrens' father, but it does put the court on notice that you are not interested in being a parent to the children you brought into the world.
That, and your ex needs a kick ass attorney. However, I'll change that response a bit. With you as a respondent, she only needs a marginally effective attorney.

Bloopy2

I'm in the adoption process in the state of PA. My ex wants her husband to adopt my children. I have received the consent agreement, but I'm afraid that I will be giving up all of my rights, even if the adoption doesn't go through. Does anyone know what happens to my rights if the adoption falls through?
What rights? to a child you obviously don't want?

If the adoption goes though. You walk away, Kiddo wins a real Dad.

If the adoption does not go through, you'd be on the hook for CS.

If you do not help this adoption go through, and you don't intend to play Dad, you're a jerk... on the hook for CS.

txmom512

Wow... I think y'all were a little harsh and a lot judgmental.

Seriously, who doesn't wish their kids could grow up in a normal happy 2 parent family.

I guess it comes growing up with a brother who is adopted, and who has adopted children of his own. I can understand that it's not an easy decision to make, and can admire a little bit someone who has the courage to let his children go so they can be happy with the parents they have rather than to fight over them constantly...

OP - take the legal advice and just ignore the crap that came with it.... (the opinionated crap that comes from the same seniors who will be the first to gripe at anyone that this is a LEGAL site and not one for personal opinions.. of course we know that is only true when it is someone other than them who wishes to express those opinions)

Silverplum

Funny, we don't give a hoot what you think.

Go sing on the street corner. See if you get a warmer response.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Seriously, who doesn't wish their kids could grow up in a normal happy 2 parent family.

I guess it comes growing up with a brother who is adopted, and who has adopted children of his own. I can understand that it's not an easy decision to make, and can admire a little bit someone who has the courage to let his children go so they can be happy with the parents they have rather than to fight over them constantly...

OP - take the legal advice and just ignore the crap that came with it.... (the opinionated crap that comes from the same seniors who will be the first to gripe at anyone that this is a LEGAL site and not one for personal opinions.. of course we know that is only true when it is someone other than them who wishes to express those opinions)
MORE "opinionated" crud.
From someone who doesn't know jack about the LAW. Which is, genius, the POINT of this site.

proud_parent

My, aren't we smugly nonjudgmental? Except that you also are making a judgment of the OP, based on your personal experience and not the law.

You like sympathetic perspectives? How's this: I'm the youngest of six. My three eldest siblings were adopted by my father through TPR & stepparent adoption. After his wife died, Dad remarried and thus became stepfather to my two half-siblings. Then I was born -- Dad's only "natural" child.

Therefore, I too can muster a great deal of admiration for at least one party in OP's adoption scenario. Three guesses which one....

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">