• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Father Adopting Already Adopted Child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rr67gto

Oregon

Greetings, I have a question for you. Eight years ago I married my wife who had three adopted kids along with her ex husband. Her ex was convicted of rape in California of the his oldest adopted daughter, and lost all custody rights to all three kids. He was also suspected of molesting his youngest adopted daughter who at the time was still six, but was not charged because the victim and the youngest one had talked about it.

Anyway, he has had no contact with his adopted kids and pay a silly low amount of support. But, because the youngest daughter has grown up with me being like her Dad and because we are close like father and daughter. She has asked me several times why I can't adopt her if she wants to no longer be her adopted fathers daughter? I'm not sure if anything can be done where at her age (14) she can be unadopted by her choice, and adopted be myself? I have no other kids, and I'm fifty with a decent estate and I would like to leave most of it to her. Because, I feel as though she is infact my real daughter. Years of being there for her, and teaching her the way a good dad does. Shareing in her life, and always maintaining a decent and honorbale relationship with one very special young lady that I love with all my heart, makes this something I would like to do as well. However, I feel that I was simply to late in the life of my three wonderful step kids. Any advice on this matter? Thank you and good day friends.

Farfalla

Oregon

Greetings, I have a question for you. Eight years ago I married my wife who had three adopted kids along with her ex husband. Her ex was convicted of rape in California of the his oldest adopted daughter, and lost all custody rights to all three kids. He was also suspected of molesting his youngest adopted daughter who at the time was still six, but was not charged because the victim and the youngest one had talked about it.

Anyway, he has had no contact with his adopted kids and pay a silly low amount of support. But, because the youngest daughter has grown up with me being like her Dad and because we are close like father and daughter. She has asked me several times why I can't adopt her if she wants to no longer be her adopted fathers daughter? I'm not sure if anything can be done where at her age (14) she can be unadopted by her choice, and adopted be myself? I have no other kids, and I'm fifty with a decent estate and I would like to leave most of it to her. Because, I feel as though she is infact my real daughter. Years of being there for her, and teaching her the way a good dad does. Shareing in her life, and always maintaining a decent and honorbale relationship with one very special young lady that I love with all my heart, makes this something I would like to do as well. However, I feel that I was simply to late in the life of my three wonderful step kids. Any advice on this matter? Thank you and good day friends.
You have three step kids... most of your post is only about adopting the youngest and only make here your heir. Why only her? Just curious?

You can leave her your entire estate whether you adopt her or not. Though as an adopted child she would have more rights… for example if you die intestate or someone challenges your will. You do have a will right?

Don’t see why you could not adopt her. I’m assuming that her mom agrees with this too. You will most likely need her current adopted father’s permission. That will depend of his rights as a father. While some of his rights have been terminated, he is still paying child support so he must still have some rights. You will need an attorney for this. Good luck.

rr67gto

re: why not adopt all three??

Thanks for the advice. And, I should have stated that the reason I'm not considering adopting the other two older kids is simple. Because, they don't want it. Before my wife and her ex adopted them, all three of the kids were bounced around from foster home to to family members. So, they have decided to just leave things the way they are. However, they are both of legal age and are all for the adoption. Because, all three of them have a good, and solid bond with me. The father cheats big time on his income because he self employed. And, I believe he may not want to allow the adoption simply because he's real PO'd because of the prison time he had to spend for what he's done. The family was under his control so to speak. And, he still enjoys pushing buttons and causing pain because of what it "cost him" not at all, what it cost the rest of the family. And yes, I know him very, very, well because of the way he's always tried to make his kids pay for coming out with what he was doing. I, will try finding an attorney and seeing what they have to say. I thought that at some point a child had a choice in these issues. But I must have been wrong. Good day friends...

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You have three step kids... most of your post is only about adopting the youngest and only make here your heir. Why only her? Just curious?

You can leave her your entire estate whether you adopt her or not.
Though as an adopted child she would have more rights… for example if you die intestate or someone challenges your will. You do have a will right?

Don’t see why you could not adopt her. I’m assuming that her mom agrees with this too. You will most likely need her current adopted father’s permission. That will depend of his rights as a father. While some of his rights have been terminated, he is still paying child support so he must still have some rights. You will need an attorney for this. Good luck.

The bolded is incorrect for dozens of reasons.

saiblessus

Adopting already adopted kid

rr67gto, or anyone who can help me

Were you able to adopt already adopted kid??

I am planning to adopt my friends adopted kid. My friend has 2 biological kids and 1 adopted kid. I am not having any kids and am trying hard to adopt a kid asap. But as I am a non immigraant (H1-B status) in US I cannot adopt internationally due to immigration issues. My friend is ready to help me by offering to adopt her adopted kid.

I am not able to get much information on "adoption of already adopted kid" . Please let me know if there will be any issues in doing so?? Also please share any good attorneys information you have who can deal with these cases.

Thanks.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
saiblessus - you should really start your own thread. It's very poot form to hijack someone else's as you have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">