• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Signing off rights"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lhmesa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? AZ

I received a message from my ex-husband noting that he would like to "sign off rights" to our twins. The boys are almost 4 (in August) and he has been gone since about 6 weeks before their birth. (He went back "home" to Indiana)
His child support has been sporadic to say the least and he is currently over $50,000 behind in his court ordered support obligation.
My new husband has been the boys' "father" since they were about 6 months old and he plans to adopt them. Unfortunately, with 5 other children, the extra money hasn't become available.
Can I get some guidance on what to tell my ex-husband and what steps we would need to take?
Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
SEVEN children in the house...

The right thing to do for your kids' sake is to make sure they (you) get every penny they (you) are owed by their father.

lhmesa

Thanks Zigner...
It is my understanding that even if he "signs off" he will still be obligated to pay his past support payments. Actually, I was told during my divorce (years ago) that I could have his parental rights removed due to our situation and he would STILL be required to pay his court ordered support.
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get more information on adoption and "signing off parental rights" in the state of Arizona?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Thanks Zigner...
It is my understanding that even if he "signs off" he will still be obligated to pay his past support payments. Actually, I was told during my divorce (years ago) that I could have his parental rights removed due to our situation and he would STILL be required to pay his court ordered support.
Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get more information on adoption and "signing off parental rights" in the state of Arizona?
He would be required maybe to pay arrears but not continuing forward child support if the children are adopted and his rights terminated. He would have NO LEGAL OBLIGATION to support children to whom he was legally not the parent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">