• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Title shared w. ex-boyfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Curioust

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I resided w. an ex-boyfriend in California from 2003 until 2005. In 2005 I moved out of state, and from there trouble began. My ex bought a car and placed me on the title to the car, and it was registered in California. He has since moved to NJ and has resided there for the past three years. We have had zero contact in that time.

I had to take my ex to small claims court to get him to disclose where our stuff was in storage in california. I have a foreign judgment against him for $2000 which I never enforced. I only received a few items from storage, after going out to california a few times. Finally I just gave up and I was happy to get a few things back. I found out recently from the storage company that my ex had all the items of our apartment moved out to him in NJ. All of these items were purchased by him but while we lived together in California.

My question resides with the car. I recently received an email from him asking me to fax in my license to a car dealership because he can't find the title to the car, and he wants to buy a new vehicle in NJ. I have yet to reply ~ as this person put me through hell for no reason. I do not want to send my informaiton to a third party, nor do I want to remain on the car because I could be liable if he were in an accident.

And at this point, I want to know if I have ownership rights to this car that he has been driving since we broke up? Can I get money from the proceeds of the sale of this car, or half of the fair market value if he trades it in? If so, how should I go about this in a legal sense to protect myself? I would presume california law would govern this matter, and I currently live in Massachusetts - he lives in NJ. How should I pursue this?

Also, do I have recourse for the fact that he kept all of the items we shared? I know CA is a community property state, but does this apply to palimony?

It was an ugly situation ~ I wanted to walk away, and I have, but this brought it back.. I want to know my full legal rights w. the fact that I am sharing title with this person on this car, even though I did not contribute monetarily to it?

Thank you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">