• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Public Intoxication Charge

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Ladycouger1

I was in a car accident and the driver was charged with DUI. They charged me with Public Intoxication without even giving me a breathalyzer or any kind of testing. They did a breathalyzer on the driver and he did not pass but never gave one to me. Can they legally charge me with Public Intoxication without any breathalyzer results????

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

The other driver's situation was probably so blatant, they didn't need a breathalyzer. You on the other hand, are a different story. Now....you don't explain who you are: the driver of second car? or the passenger of one of these cars?

You haven't told us your state, but this is my take: if you were NOT driving and you were merely a passenger in a private vehicle, how can you be charged with PUBLIC INTOXICATION? Fight it on this count --> not public.

L

Ladycouger1

Public Intox Charge

I'm sorry, guess I didn't explain too well. I am from Indiana, I was a passenger in my car, the guy driving was my brother in law, there was not another car involved, it was icy and he lost control and hit a pole. They did a breathalyzer on him and he failed. They never did a breathalyzer on me but charged me with public intoxication, they said that I was lying about the accident. The driver said a car ran him off the road, I did not see anything, I was looking in my purse at the time, next thing I knew we were spinning around and hit the pole on my side of the car. It totaled the car, cops never even asked me if I was ok, just started screaming at me, never called an ambulance or anything. So, they arrested me because they said I was lying about the accident, I just told them what he told me. I just don't know how they can arrest me without any kind of tests, they have nothing to back up the charge. I go to court next month and don't know whether I should try to hire a lawyer or just go and accept the charge. Just doesn't seem right to me.

LegalBeagle

Re: Public Intox Charge

Ladycouger1 said:
I'm sorry, guess I didn't explain too well. I am from Indiana, I was a passenger in my car, the guy driving was my brother in law, there was not another car involved, it was icy and he lost control and hit a pole. They did a breathalyzer on him and he failed. They never did a breathalyzer on me but charged me with public intoxication, they said that I was lying about the accident. The driver said a car ran him off the road, I did not see anything, I was looking in my purse at the time, next thing I knew we were spinning around and hit the pole on my side of the car. It totaled the car, cops never even asked me if I was ok, just started screaming at me, never called an ambulance or anything. So, they arrested me because they said I was lying about the accident, I just told them what he told me. I just don't know how they can arrest me without any kind of tests, they have nothing to back up the charge. I go to court next month and don't know whether I should try to hire a lawyer or just go and accept the charge. Just doesn't seem right to me.
Accept the charge ?? have you been drinking ??? Wake up! there is no charge against you.. fight it in court and have the whole thing thrown out..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">