• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

There must be a way out of this contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dearshapiro

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

If couples can vow "till death do we part" and then get a divorce, there must be some way to "divorce" from a timeshare without reselling it. I just got back from my vacation home where I’ve been paying rising fees on it over the past three years (it’s nearly double what I started paying). While the fees have gone up, the quality of the property has not. I love the location, but I feel I’m getting hosed. If I'm not getting what I pay for, doesn't that void the contract?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Louisiana

If couples can vow "till death do we part" and then get a divorce, there must be some way to "divorce" from a timeshare without reselling it. I just got back from my vacation home where I’ve been paying rising fees on it over the past three years (it’s nearly double what I started paying). While the fees have gone up, the quality of the property has not. I love the location, but I feel I’m getting hosed. If I'm not getting what I pay for, doesn't that void the contract?
No, the contract is not voided...you can't "divorce" your timeshare (nice try though ;) )

CraigFL

But you can "divorce" your timeshare and get hosed again just like you would in a divorce --- donate it to someone. You get rid of the liability without retaining any of the equity. It just depends what's worth more to you....

locovez

With timeshares, even f you sell or donate, you can still end up liable for it if the title does not transfer properly to the recipient. As in a divorce, you should seek professional assistance with this. There are title transfer companies like Timeshare Relief that assume your timeshare title. You would have to seek something like that to get clear of your contract.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">