• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"Maaco me crazy"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjmikolajczyk

Illinois: My son: days short of his 28 birthday, intelligent, has aspergers. Downloaded a coupon from the Maaco website for free car rental on any job order $500 or more duration of the repair. We did not keep a copy of the coupon. It has since been removed. Maaco excepted the job and the coupon. Called Enterprise. Enterprise agent came asked for my credit card processed it, said it was taken for liability asked my son too initial several spots on paperwork and provide his signature. I was present along with the Maaco estimator. I have rented cars before. I know the protocol. There was no mention of daily rate or of any other contractual items. This did not seem unusual as Maacco was picking up the tab and it seemed that there was a mutual understanding between the representatives of Maaco and Enterprise. The car was completed late in the afternoon on the second day. It was picked up about 2:30 pm on the third day. The rental car was returned to Maaco at this time. The Maaco owner was handed the keys while processing the Maaco bill and he said "we took care of the rental for you." I had reason to talk to this owner a few days later regarding another matter. He never mentioned anything about the rental. I happened to be checking out my account online came across an Enterprise debit for $162.86. I called Maaco. The owner said he had no idea what that was. He said that the Maaco policy was to deduct the rental out of the final bill.He forgot to deduct it from our bill. They finished the car in two days so he would pay for 2 days at $29.99 (plus tax) per day. He said he would cut me a check for $63.58.He said I had signed a contract with
Enterprise that he had nothing to do with and therefore I would have to iron out the rest of the finances with Enterprise.The Enterprise manager said that we paid $15.50 a day to fore go having to use our $ 500.00 private insurance deductible should there be damage to the rental car. He said my son initialed it after the agent explained the contract to him. I was there. There were no explanations! He initialed where the agent told him. End of story. Found a copy of the receipt on Enterprise web site. There was also 2 hours charged because of the late return. I do not object to being responsible for the third day or the 2 extra hours. I do however object to the 3 days of 15.50 charges that if they had been explained would never have been signed for. They all have there money as both were a debit transaction. What can I do? (I know be a smarter consumer in the future!) I did call my bank and I can dispute the charges from Enterprise. I feel duped by both companies.
What are your thoughts?

You Are Guilty

You're on the hook for the $15.50 x3.

First, by your own description, MAACO was providing a free rental car, not free rental car insurance, so they are not liable to pay it.

Second, it's not the rental agency's duty to explain to you what you are signing for in the contract (unless you specifically ask them, which you admit you did not). Thus, they are not liable for the charges either.

Does that mean one or the other company might not just pay them in a show of good will? Of course not, so it doesn't hurt to keep asking them - the worst they can do is (continue to) say 'no'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">