• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

No will, now who gets the estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mdunn2

Recently, my aunt through marriage died. She left no will but her estate was worth quite a bit of money. Because my uncle died several years ago, an attorney advised our family that everything from my aunt's estate goes to her blood relatives.

Is this true for people living in PA? Everything my aunt had was because my uncle invested wisely. In essence, it was my uncle's estate.

The best part of this situation is the people who have inherited the estate did not even come to my aunt's funeral.

Is there justice for our family?

ALawyer

I won't second guess the lawyer, but if he left it to her, it was hers.

If he wanted to protect "his" side of the family, he should have put it in trust, giving her power to make some withdrawals and to make some beneficiary designations (say for half) and if she did not, leaving it to his chosen beneficiaries.

Are you sure there was no Will?

M

mdunn2

no will

Thanks you so much for the reply. There was no will. Unfortunately, only empty promises from this aunt that said certain family members were to receive the estate. These family members were on my uncle's side, and they took care of her during her illness.

A

advisor10

FEB. 13, 2001

DEAR MDUNN2:

It's true for people in any state! Unfortunately, this is what happens when people don't prepare a will or decide in advance what should happen to their property after they die. People are naturally reluctant to face their own mortality, but the smart ones realize that if you don't care enough to make your own preparations, then state law steps in and makes the decision for you!

[email protected]

M

mdunn2

Thanks Advisor

It is such a shame. This has hurt my family deeply. Thanks for the reply, and now, I will look into preparing my own will.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">