• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Recourse for "no fault found"

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cindalyn

South Carolina

Over three weeks ago I took my boat & motor to a dealer to repair a 'hot-start' problem on the motor. The problem is one that could potentially let me stranded at sea.

I took it to this dealer because they were highly recommended even though they had one of the highest labor rates in the area. Before taking the motor in for service I visited the dealer and asked if they were qualified to repair this particular make of motor. They assured me they were and they had the necessary tooling available. The motor is currently back in the shop, for the third time, for exactly the same problem I originally took it to them.

The personel at the shop have been very good to work with but they admit they are stumped. They insist they can fix the problem but it's just one of those problems that are difficult to find.

While they are trying to fix the problem I am, of course, loosing use of the boat and each time I pick the boat up thinking is fixed I have to drive over 30 miles and then I have used the boat only to confirm the problem was not corrected.

I'm really trying to be patient with this dealer but each time I take it back it's more money. To date I hve paid $230 with no changes. Had the problem been fixed I would have no problem with the money but when is enough?

In the event the problem is not corrected, what recourse do I have with this dealer if he will not voluntarily give me a refund. Do I have a legitimite case for Small Claims Court?

locovez

You're going to have a tough go trying to get recourse for "lost time" on a luxury item such as a boat. Once the motor is repaired, make sure you get an itemized receipt of what was done. Take this for a second opinion, and see if maybe you paid for redundant work. You may be able to recoup those items. But that can be tricky—your mechanic may just have a legitimate problem with this repair.

cindalyn

I guess that's my problem - what are my actual damages?

The dealership has been working on the motor for over a month now. I have only used it two times before returning it directly back to the shop. Each of the two times I used it was for the sole purpose of determining if the problem had been fixed. It wasn't and the motor is still in the shop.

• I have paid two invoices totaling $233. One was for $188 labor, the other was $45 to take the boat to the river for a water test
  • I have been without the use of the boat for over one month.
  • I have made 3 round trips of 32 miles each.
  • My wife is now leary about going boating with me for fear of getting stranded.

I'm really not interested in suing. I just want my boat & motor back and working properly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">