• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father passed away in another state

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BusyMom1967

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN / NC

OK here is the down and dirty - This is long, but it is also complicated.

My father lived most of his LIFE in NC, but when he got older and sick, he came to live with me in TN. He moved his whole life here; got a drivers license, bank account, bought a car, moved his medical records, SS check, etc. He claimed TN on taxes, etc.. etc..

BUT, then he went back to NC when he thought he was feeling better (I did not think he should :( ), to take care of some issues.

While he was there he sold his car, bought a truck and registered it in NC (but his license was still in TN), sold his house, opened a bank account in NC, and chenged his SSN to that Bank account,
and then he passed away in NC! He passed away November 9, 2007. He was there less than 12 months.

(He was only there for 6-7 months before he went to the hospital the last time. )

He sent some of the money back to me to start building him an studio apt (which I did - but it is not finished), BUT he spent most of the money on all kinds of things (truck , lawn mower, gas for the new truck, etc..)

While he was in the hospital I drove to NC, and stayed in a Hotel for 4 weeks, and since he lived 1 hour out in the country, I drove many miles between the hospital and his home taking care of all of his business stuff in NC (taxes, bills, etc), AND since he sold the house before he ended up in the hospital, I also had to move all of his things and take 4 weeks off work, plus hire someone to help me load the Uhaul truck, plus I spent alot of money on food etc.

OK - I have two sisters, and they agree they want me to execute the estate. BUT, the one year mark is coming up fast, what do I do. (BTW - After he passed away, I have become sick myself with RA, so with meds, I am finally able to get back on this.)

Basically - where do I start, and in which state do I do all of this in?

I think TN is easier, but I am not sure. Plus I am not sure which state he was legal in. He died in NC, but at the time, he was only renting in NC, he owned NO property, but he had a bank account in NC with his SS being sent to that bank. BUT, he claimed TN on everything else, including his driver's license.

He left no extra money. Unfortunatly, I have no money. The little bit of money he sent me to start his apt was spent on that, and it is was not even finshed. BTW - the little bit of money he did have left over was spent on the funeral (about $10,000).

So, what happens to the truck, and what happens to everything else. AM I responsible for sharing the money my father sent me to start his apt? This apt is on my property, can my sister (the bad one) sue me for part of my property?

Again, I have two kids in college, and I am going to school part time, so I really have no money to pay anyone for anything.

Final situation -

*NO will
*I have an unfinshed apt in my backyard pain with proceeds from the sell of my fathers home in NC
*He left an old truck
*NO Bills left for the Funeral
*The bills left over are some medical bills, and a few little credit cards - a total value of bills not over $10,000 (he did have a huge second mortage - but they already wrote it off).
*The family wants me to execute the estate
*I spent alot of money taking care of him while he was in the hospital in NC (he was handicapped - could not hear or talk - so I HAD to go and help him in the hospital, he knew no sign language, and the nurses could not understand him)

(BTW, if your family is sick, do not let them travel to another state, the insurance would not pay to get him shipped to my home in TN - so he was stuck dying in another state away from all of us. We could have saved ALOT of money and time if he had be able to come here to this hospital, plus, he would have had ALOT more vistors)

*** Now what? ***

Last edited:

BusyMom1967

I know this was long - but I do need help

Based on the above post, I just need to know which state to file my dads probate in, then I can get started. Or do I have to have probate?

Thank you for any help you can give.

:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">