• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wills

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maria Graff

i live in virginia and i need to find the exact law that states what would happen to our minor children, if my husband (the father) and i die at the same time leaving no will or trust naming guardians.

ALawyer

There is no law that says that. The court would decide guardianship of minor children. The property would be divided equally among the kids, but held for them until they hit 18.

Instead of trying to find what doesn't exist, prepare a Will so you can tell the court what you'd want to have happen!

A

advisor10

FEB. 13, 2001

DEAR MARIA:

Please post this question at another website called http://www.lawguru.com. I know that there are lawyers in Virginia who may be able to more specifically answer your question. Or, if you send me an e-mail message, I can give you the e-mail address of a Virginia attorney whom you can contact directly. If you live in Virginia you may want to go to the local library to see if they have the State Laws of Virginia in book form for the public to look at.

[email protected]

M

Maria Graff

Thank you for your reply. If there is now law that says what would happen to my children, if my husband and I die simultaeously, how does it end up in court? Suppose someone steps forth to be guardian? My husband does not believe that it would end up in court. I need proof for him. Help!! Thanks! Maria

A

advisor10

FEB. 14, 2001

DEAR MARIA:

You can find a probate/estate attorney in your yellow pages but your question also might be considered as "guardianship" under a family law attorney, so either one could help you.

You might want to visit the Virginia attorney's website http://www.fiorelaw.net and send an e-mail question to see what kind of response you get, but there might be a small fee required, whereas if you phoned a local attorney in your area the first consultation might be free or inexpensive.

[email protected]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">