• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ticket for not stopping at crosswalk when another car was stopped.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

spinmama

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

A couple of weeks ago, I received a ticket for not stopping at a pedestrian crosswalk while another car was stopped. The officer specifically stated it was not for not stopping for a pedestrian (there was no one IN the crosswalk). It was a marked crosswalk with a flashing light sign. The light WAS flashing but as I came up to the crosswalk, I didn't see anyone, except on the far opposite side of the street. It was a 2 lane divided street and she was on the far side looking in another direction (3 lanes away from me). Traffic was moving very slow (around 10 mph), and as I started to go in the crosswalk, the officer came up behind me, no lights. He pulled me over a bit later, for the reason above.

I just received a notice in the mail for a whopping $400 bail. I planned on going to court next week to contest. From what I can read, I don't have a choice but to pay the fine, which will cause some serious financial hardship.

Do I have any hope with this one? I honestly didn't know I was breaking the law. I wouldn't say that in court :eek:.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

CourtClerk

The law is very simple.

You are not allowed to enter the crosswalk if someone is in the crosswalk and/or the lights are flashing. The law makes no mention as to how far the person has to be away from your car to make it ok. If someone is in the crosswalk, you stop.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The law is very simple.

You are not allowed to enter the crosswalk if someone is in the crosswalk and/or the lights are flashing. The law makes no mention as to how far the person has to be away from your car to make it ok. If someone is in the crosswalk, you stop.
With all due respect.
The law states a driver must YIELD to the pedestrian.
From the op's description, he did in fact yield. The OP might want to chat with a traffic attorney about this issue.

CourtClerk

With all due respect.
From the op's description, he did in fact yield. The OP might want to chat with a traffic attorney about this issue.
Sorry Ziggy, here's the law I believe that the OP was cited for disobeying...

21951. Whenever any vehicle has stopped at a marked crosswalk or at any unmarked crosswalk at an intersection to permit a pedestrian to cross the roadway the driver of any other vehicle approaching from the rear shall not overtake and pass the stopped vehicle.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
With all due respect.
Sorry CC - I meant to correct myself based on what you pointed out, but my home internet connection is spotty the last couple of weeks...

CourtClerk

Sorry CC - I meant to correct myself based on what you pointed out, but my home internet connection is spotty the last couple of weeks...
No problemo. It's one of those little known laws that until I actually WORKED in traffic, I didn't even know existed.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">