• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

18 yr old stepdaughter in Nevada - wants adoption...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

murph83

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NV
I have raised my stepdaughter since she was 6. Her Mother hasn't seen or spoke to her in over 5 yrs., and prior to that very sporadically. She asked for her 18th bday for me to adopt her. Even though legally (she's an adult) it won't really matter, she wants me listed as her "Mother". Her Father and I have since had 2 boys she's very close to - I assumed this was a slam dunk - as an adult can't you claim anyone as your parent?! I read in a magazine a few yrs ago of a young man who chose this for the man who raised him, out of respect for him...
Her Bday is in 2 mos., she's leaving for college and I really want to make sure this is attainable before she leaves... Not just for me, but truly, because - she has requested this - and I want her to know, I want her just as bad (albeit, goofy, but legally)

And, of course, her "biological", wouldn't consent or we would have done this years ago... But, she has been informed, we'll be doing this now.

thxWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

nextwife

Yup. Very simple. Adult adoption requires only the permission of the adoptee. No homestudy, no parental rights relinquishment.

Slam dunk. Go get it done.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
However - you will not be able to file any paperwork *before* she's 18. You'll be starting the process as soon as she turns 18.

wartorn

:)Between my hubby and me, we're both looking into adopting each other's respective adult children, at their request, so yeah! Go for it!!!

I've been doing research in CA - apparently there is standard language required. If you can go to your local Law Library you should be able to ask for assistance from the law librarians (they can't give legal advice, but they can point you to the correct section of Lexis-Nexis).

Being a parent has more to do with DOING than DNA.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">