• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scared!!!!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nananess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
We live in Arizona. We are the grandparents of a 2 year old little boy. We have had him since he was 5 months old. His mother and father live in California. They are not married. My daughter had to leave the state of California due to her boyfriends arrest. He was arrested for under the infulence and child endangerment. My daughter came here and my husband and I went to court and got an emergancy custody order to take the baby into our custody. They called it (In Loco Parentis to the child) She keeps running back to him why I don't know, but we felt that the child was in danger each time she went back and we did get full legal custody in January. They have seen him less than a 24 hour period since we have had him nor do they call and see how he is or to talk to him. In the mean time they had a little girl together and the same thing is still happening. The father is still using drugs and the domestic violence still is happening and I also forgot to mention that they have been evicted 3 times with no place to live. The father was just arrested again last week for domestic violance and I called cps and they did take the child away and we were told by cps that we would be getting the child, but we went to court in California and the judge awarded the little girl back to their custody. So......My questions are we want to move back to California due to my husbands job ( he is a fireman in Cali) and we want to adopt our grandson, but we are not sure if we should start doing it here or in California. We are so affraid that the state of California will give our grandson back to the parents like they did our granddaughter. We still are trying to get our granddaughter out of that environment, but it is so difficult with us being in a different state. How hard is it to adopt our grandson? What is the procedure? How can we get our granddaughter out of that horrible house? Scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
We live in Arizona. We are the grandparents of a 2 year old little boy. We have had him since he was 5 months old. His mother and father live in California. They are not married. My daughter had to leave the state of California due to her boyfriends arrest. He was arrested for under the infulence and child endangerment. My daughter came here and my husband and I went to court and got an emergancy custody order to take the baby into our custody. They called it (In Loco Parentis to the child) She keeps running back to him why I don't know, but we felt that the child was in danger each time she went back and we did get full legal custody in January. They have seen him less than a 24 hour period since we have had him nor do they call and see how he is or to talk to him. In the mean time they had a little girl together and the same thing is still happening. The father is still using drugs and the domestic violence still is happening and I also forgot to mention that they have been evicted 3 times with no place to live. The father was just arrested again last week for domestic violance and I called cps and they did take the child away and we were told by cps that we would be getting the child, but we went to court in California and the judge awarded the little girl back to their custody. So......My questions are we want to move back to California due to my husbands job ( he is a fireman in Cali) and we want to adopt our grandson, but we are not sure if we should start doing it here or in California. We are so affraid that the state of California will give our grandson back to the parents like they did our granddaughter. We still are trying to get our granddaughter out of that environment, but it is so difficult with us being in a different state. How hard is it to adopt our grandson? What is the procedure? How can we get our granddaughter out of that horrible house? Scared!!!!!!!!!!!!!What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Unless you are able to involuntarily terminate their parental rights (and it doesn't sound like you can at this point) you would not be able to adopt your grandson without the consult of both of his parents. I wouldn't rock the boat with that at this point.

nananess

Scared

I guess my main question is what do we do to keep our grandson safe if we do move back to California? We witnessed our great sysmtem at work last week when they put our granddaughter back in the abusive and drug filled enviornement. We are affraid that when we do move to California it will make it easier for our daughter and her boyfriend to get our grandson back.
1) What can we do to make sure they don't get our grandson back anytime soon?
2) What can we do to ensure our granddaughter will be safe while she is back in the environment?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Changing custody to her would require a substantial change in circumstance in the life of the child and/or you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">