• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

They got paid for the lost package, but won't pay me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hennessy

I am in Oregon, but this issue is with a company outside of Oregon and involves shipping accross state lines.

For a warranty repair, this company sent me a box and a UPS label to ship my defective item to them. The label they sent me had an undeclared value. The package was shipped from my work and lost in transit. To make matters worse, it was shipped on the wrong truck and because of such, does not show up on the manifest (the manifest is what i would provide for proof that it was shipped). I started a trace and eventually a claim with UPS. UPS honored the claim and paid the company who sent me the UPS label and box. Because it was an undeclared value on the package, UPS only paid them $100 (the product was valued at $280 retail). The company is now requesting the drop off receipt, which I am unable to provide. I verified with UPS that they had indeed sent the company payment for the loss of the package, but they in error thought that I was with the company that sent me the shipping label, and when I informed them that I was not the company that had sent the label, but was the customer that they had sent the label to, UPS told me they could not provide me with any proof that they had paid the company. Prior to stating that, they had already given me the check number and date the check was sent. This company is still unwilling to reimburse me for the loss of the package without providing them a drop off receipt. The company was paid by UPS on May 23rd.

Are they committing insurance fraud by accepting payment from UPS, but being unwilling to reimburse me?

What options do I have in regards to forcing them to reimburse me? Are there any specific laws regarding this issue that you might be able to direct me to?

Last edited:

acmb05

I have had this posted for a while now and have received no answer. Am I posting in the wrong forum?
You don't have a case for a refund. The shipping label was from the company so they are the ones who get the settlement for it. What did you do with the receipt the UPS guy gave you when he picked the package up? Seem like all you have to do is provide that and they will send you a check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">