• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abusive relationship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

childinguam

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Guam
If a child was concieved in an abusive relationship, does the father need to consent before adoption? What if the mother is fearful to contact the father?

CourtClerk

Yes, even in an abusive relationship, the father has a right to know you want to give up the child for adoption.

However, I suggest that if you do not want to parent a child with this man, you give the child to him and allow him to raise the child, with you paying support.

Yes, even in an abusive relationship, the father has a right to know you want to give up the child for adoption.

However, I suggest that if you do not want to parent a child with this man, you give the child to him and allow him to raise the child, with you paying support.
:eek: Give a baby to an abuser?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Guam
If a child was concieved in an abusive relationship, does the father need to consent before adoption? What if the mother is fearful to contact the father?

You do have to contact the father, but the thought of giving a child to an abuser makes me want to puke. Do you have police reports documenting the abuse?

proud_parent

:eek: Give a baby to an abuser?
Alleged abuser.

And the OP's use of the term "abusive relationship" suggests that abuse of the mother, not of the children, is alleged.

And yes, some courts have allowed fathers to retain custody of children in situations where documented abuse of the mother exists. (O.J., anyone?)

LdiJ

CC, this response, in my opinion, was a little beheath you.

If he really is an abuser, no rational human being would just hand the child over to him. You wouldn't, I wouldn't and no other rational person would. So giving that advice, to a potentially young person, is flippant at best.

CourtClerk

CC, this response, in my opinion, was a little beheath you.

If he really is an abuser, no rational human being would just hand the child over to him. You wouldn't, I wouldn't and no other rational person would. So giving that advice, to a potentially young person, is flippant at best.
Ld, you know and I know just because someone calls someone an abuser doesn't make it so. I don't know, maybe because I work in a courtroom all day long and hear all these silly little girls come in here with all these fictitious tales of "abuse" do I say that just because you say it doesn't make it so.

Also, at least here... just because you are abusive to mom, does not make you a danger to the child. All of a sudden if a man yells at a woman, he's an abuser. If a woman hits a man, she's upset, if he hits her back, he's a batterer. Three sides to the story maybe?

Read these posts here. They only get abusive after you've bedded him for years, made a baby and then decided that you were the child's only parent, the only thing you want him to do is pay support and he told you to go to h*ll because he's going to parent his child, right along with you.

Last edited:

LdiJ

Ld, you know and I know just because someone calls someone an abuser doesn't make it so. I don't know, maybe because I work in a courtroom all day long and hear all these silly little girls come in here with all these fictitious tales of "abuse" do I say that just because you say it doesn't make it so.

Also, at least here... just because you are abusive to mom, does not make you a danger to the child. All of a sudden if a man yells at a woman, he's an abuser. If a woman hits a man, she's upset, if he hits her back, he's a batterer. Three sides to the story maybe?

Read these posts here. They only get abusive after you've bedded him for years, made a baby and then decided that you were the child's only parent, the only thing you want him to do is pay support and he told you to go to h*ll because he's going to parent his child, right along with you.
I understand that. However its also true that there are many abusers (men and women)out there as well. You have absolutely no idea if the father in this case is one of them or not. Therefore I found that statement to be inappropriate.

Plus, this is apparently a mother who is considering adoption, therefore not wanting dad to be a non-involved wallet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">