• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Car Sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandeep_singh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I sold my car few days back via craigslist and in the advertisement , I had mentioned that the car is in great condition as the major maintenance like timing belt etc had been done on it and it never gave me any problems . I have similar feedback from the previous owner in writing . but the private party to whom I sold the car found some problems after buying the car . He had bought the car AS-IS after inspection from the mechanic who also certified that the car is in great condition . he is threatening to sue to me because I advertised the car incorrectly because it was not in great condition and needed major repairs . Does he have any case against me ? I think not but I want to be sure .

BL

I sold my car few days back via craigslist and in the advertisement , I had mentioned that the car is in great condition as the major maintenance like timing belt etc had been done on it and it never gave me any problems . I have similar feedback from the previous owner in writing . but the private party to whom I sold the car found some problems after buying the car . He had bought the car AS-IS after inspection from the mechanic who also certified that the car is in great condition . he is threatening to sue to me because I advertised the car incorrectly because it was not in great condition and needed major repairs . Does he have any case against me ? I think not but I want to be sure .
Did you note AS-IS on the sales receipt ?

If not , the court could go either way .

BL

What kind of major problems ?

sandeep_singh

What kind of major problems ?
The bill of sale did mention AS-IS and he would be responsible for all repairs after buying the car . The mechanic also said that the car is in great condition after thorough inspection . The person then drived about 120 miles to his home and found the next day that the valves have been burnt in one cylinder . It would cost him around 1300$ to repair . My thinking is that anything could have happened while he was driving back to his home .

BL

Well I had a Judge/arbitrator almost go my way , except for the slip of my tongue over a sale Advertised is Excellent condition w/ AS-Is on the sales receipt .

He asked me what I thought as-is meant .

I said I know what as-is usually means , but I bought it as-is it was advertised as .

I couldn't have been in great condition , valves on just one cyl . don't just get burnt out in 120 miles.

As I said , it could go either way .

The bill of sale did mention AS-IS and he would be responsible for all repairs after buying the car
Did the receipt state all of this ?

Last edited:

sandeep_singh

Well I had a Judge/arbitrator almost go my way , except for the slip of my tongue over a sale Advertised is Excellent condition w/ AS-Is on the sales receipt .

He asked me what I thought as-is meant .

I said I know what as-is usually means , but I bought it as-is it was advertised as .

I couldn't have been in great condition , valves on just one cyl . don't just get burnt out in 120 miles.

As I said , it could go either way .

Did the receipt state all of this ?
Well for me AS-IS meant that the present state of the car after mechanic inspected the car . Yes , the Bill of Sale mentioned that the the buyer would be buying the car AS-IS and would be responsible for all liabilities of the car from today onwards . Obviously the Bill of Sale does not mention about the valve problem because I myself did not knew about the problem . For me the car ran fine without any problems so I advertised in great condition.
But my point would be what is the guarantee that the car could not develop any problem during the 120 mile drive . The mechanic did also mention also that the car is in great condition . if he had bought the car without mechanic's inspection I would have agreed to the problem but once its certified by the mechanic then its a different matter altogether . Afterall he did not belive on the advertisement and got the car inspected anyways.

BL

Well for me AS-IS meant that the present state of the car after mechanic inspected the car . Yes , the Bill of Sale mentioned that the the buyer would be buying the car AS-IS and would be responsible for all liabilities of the car from today onwards . Obviously the Bill of Sale does not mention about the valve problem because I myself did not knew about the problem . For me the car ran fine without any problems so I advertised in great condition.
But my point would be what is the guarantee that the car could not develop any problem during the 120 mile drive . The mechanic did also mention also that the car is in great condition . if he had bought the car without mechanic's inspection I would have agreed to the problem but once its certified by the mechanic then its a different matter altogether . Afterall he did not belive on the advertisement and got the car inspected anyways.
I'm sure the mechanics inspection wasn't a thorough one that would determine a burnt valves on one cyl. .

Even mechanics can miss something on insp.

What proof has the buyer offered , and how is the issue effecting the buyer .

Emissions , smoke/smog , engine missing/skipping , what ?

Obviously , if it won't pass inspection , it wasn't a great car .

Also, there's a difference between mechanics , and auto safety inspectors/inspections .

You do not give any details .

sandeep_singh

I'm sure the mechanics inspection wasn't a thorough one that would determine a burnt valves on one cyl. .

Even mechanics can miss something on insp.

What proof has the buyer offered , and how is the issue effecting the buyer .

Emissions , smoke/smog , engine missing/skipping , what ?

Obviously , if it won't pass inspection , it wasn't a great car .

Also, there's a difference between mechanics , and auto safety inspectors/inspections .

You do not give any details .
The mechanic took almost 2.5 hours to do the inspection and he was a AAA approved auto mechanic of his choice . If this is not thorough then I am not sure what thorough means . He drove the car , did numerous tests on the car and did a smog like test also , checked the wires , tires , fuses etc . The inspection costed more than 100$ . The only thing he found not good was the battery for which I paid the buyer .

But there is a possibility that he may have missed something . Nothing can be perfect in this world .
The buyer did tell me that the auto shop had reimbursed the money but I do not know if thats true .

Regarding additional details :
The buyer sent an estimate and then final bill of the repairs . He spend 1300 on the repairs . he got inspection done from another mechanic who did a compression test where the problem was found . He had to get the cylinder repaired and after that did a smog test too . He is demanding money from me now .
Regarding smog , the certificate was given to him . the car had successful smog inspection done and certificate was valid and did not expire . I was given the certificate when i bought the car and it will still valid as I sold the car within 90 days . According to the DMV the smog inspections are valid for 90 days and seller does not have to get it smogged . I sold the car within 90 days. I had givent he smog certificate to the seller .
I had done some repairs on the car , the receipts of which I had given to the buyer .
My mechanic had replace front half chevs ( of chefs , pardon my spelling ) , cleaned the valves because a lot of carbon had deposited on it , did oil change .

Last edited:

BL

The mechanic took almost 2.5 hours to do the inspection and he was a AAA approved auto mechanic of his choice . If this is not thorough then I am not sure what thorough means . He drove the car , did numerous tests on the car and did a smog like test also , checked the wires , tires , fuses etc . The inspection costed more than 100$ . The only thing he found not good was the battery for which I paid the buyer .

But there is a possibility that he may have missed something . Nothing can be perfect in this world .
The buyer did tell me that the auto shop had reimbursed the money but I do not know if thats true .

Regarding additional details :
The buyer sent an estimate and then final bill of the repairs . He spend 1300 on the repairs . he got inspection done from another mechanic who did a compression test where the problem was found . He had to get the cylinder repaired and after that did a smog test too . He is demanding money from me now .
Regarding smog , the certificate was given to him . the car had successful smog inspection done and certificate was valid and did not expire . I was given the certificate when i bought the car and it will still valid as I sold the car within 90 days . According to the DMV the smog inspections are valid for 90 days and seller does not have to get it smogged . I sold the car within 90 days. I had givent he smog certificate to the seller .
I had done some repairs on the car , the receipts of which I had given to the buyer .
My mechanic had replace front half chevs ( of chefs , pardon my spelling ) , cleaned the valves because a lot of carbon had deposited on it , did oil change .
Great , this is pertinent info. you should have posted in the beginning .

You sold it as-is , with a passed good inspection , not knowing these defects existed , and his/her mechanic said the auto was OK .

Tell the buyer that's his/her problem not yours .

Half-shafts ..

sandeep_singh

Great , this is pertinent info. you should have posted in the beginning .

You sold it as-is , with a passed good inspection , not knowing these defects existed , and his/her mechanic said the auto was OK .

Tell the buyer that's his/her problem not yours .

Half-shafts ..
Thanks so much for your inputs and suggestions:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">