• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Criminal Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cratchit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I reside in NC but have a question pertaining to NY.
Where can I get information about a murder that took place in NY state 60 years ago?

FlyingRon

Your public library can almost certainly help.

If you've got $10 and you're too lasy to go to the library, there's a site called newspaperarchive that has taken a lot of the old microfilm archives of papers and digitised them.

cratchit

Old court records

Your public library can almost certainly help.

If you've got $10 and you're too lasy to go to the library, there's a site called newspaperarchive that has taken a lot of the old microfilm archives of papers and digitised them.
Thanks for the tip. I think it's a great source but in my case I need to go back to the 1940s. Nothing I could find on this source went back that far. Same for a few other similar sites.
What I need to know is to which branch of government I can apply to in order to search their old court records in NY state.
Will apprecaite any ideas on this.

CavemanLawyer

It depends on what you mean by "a murder." Do you know if charges were ever filed? If so you just need to go to the clerk's office where charges were filed. You will need at the least, the defendant's name. Depending on what happened with the case they may have retained the file or it may have been destroyed. If there was a conviction than they should definitely have a file on it with the judgment and charging instrument. Go there in person or call and have them mail the documentation to you. There will be a fee for this of course.

If no charges were ever filed than there might not exist any public record of the murder anymore. The only definite record would be the casefile with the police, but that is not a public record and there is no way to petition to see it if you have no direct connection to the case. Other than that you'd just have to find someone or some service that archived any newspaper articles on it. Unless you can find any books on the subject, that's about all there is unless you can track down someone old enough to remember facts about it.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">