• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Pageant Director broke a contract ti run a fair event...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nclady

I reside in NC, where I entered a community-service based pageant for married women. While preparing for competition, I discovered the director, who is supposed to run a fair system, had a favorite and sent that contestant photos of me and emails to help her prepare herself against me (I had entered previously and won the interview portion of this competition).
I believe by giving one contestant assistance no one else got, she picked a favorite. For sure she was trying to stack the contest against me. She won't return my money and since it has gotten out that these emails existed (I did not release the emails, a staff member did) her business has suffered. She has threatened via email to have me arrested, destroy my family and get me fired from my job. I can't eat or sleep and hate going to my email because I never know what is on there.
I used to enjoy competing in these events. It may sound dumb, but it was a hobby and now I feel as though if I ever compete in any competition again she will make my life even more miserable.
If I sue just for the entry fee I paid, even in small claims court, I won't even break even. I feel she should have to pay for the harassment and be held accountable for the cheating.
There is an NC Gaming laws that say contests where you pay to enter MUST be fair, and any attempt by the people running such a contest to skew the results is illegal.
My question: Do I need a lawyer and should I sue in district court or should I just stick to Small Claims? And how do I approach a lawyer and not seem petty...it is after all a beauty contest but it is still harrassment and she still owes me since she made it so I couldn't compete fairly.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">