• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company changing price after order paid in full

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tante.v

I'm trying to determine if this is legal or not. A few months ago, we paid for an order of wood pellets (to heat our home) to be delivered in July. At the time we placed our order, we paid $219 a ton; we paid in full. Today, we got a letter stating that because of rising costs of their suppliers, etc, the company we ordered from is now increasing the price to $279 per ton. Can they do this? We've already paid for the order, including delivery, and were expecting it to be delivered this week.

Many thanks for any thoughts on this.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

BL

I'm trying to determine if this is legal or not. A few months ago, we paid for an order of wood pellets (to heat our home) to be delivered in July. At the time we placed our order, we paid $219 a ton; we paid in full. Today, we got a letter stating that because of rising costs of their suppliers, etc, the company we ordered from is now increasing the price to $279 per ton. Can they do this? We've already paid for the order, including delivery, and were expecting it to be delivered this week.

Many thanks for any thoughts on this.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH

Tell them they quoted a price and you paid it .

Do you have a receipt stating Paid ?

Tante.v

Yes, we've got the receipt. They're offering us a lower-quality pellet at the original price we paid, or the option of cancelling the order. Seems to me they should have to give us the product we paid for at the price they originally offered it, but I don't know if they're obligated to by law.

BL

If in their policy it doesn't give them those options , they are bound by what they offered you .

Tell them not only that but if they want your business in the future , it would be good customer relations .

I've been quoted many times with prices , only to have whoever quoted it tell me a higher cost . I reminded them of the cost they stated . Most usually say , well OK if that's what I said , that's what it will be .

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">