• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step Parent Adoption:Steps?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HmSkoolMom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Details: 2 girls--16 and 12. Two different fathers. Married to neither. My husband wants to adopt both girls.

1. 12 yr old has MY last name(maiden), father was never on her birth cert. AND he's never paid child support, AND he passed away 2 years ago.

2. 16 yr old has her father's last name, he is on the birth cert. and he (sort of) pays child support. He has not seen nor had contact with her since we split when she was 2. Not even tried to contact her. Nothing. When we split, I was made sole custodial parent by the courts. We were never married, but we did go through the courts as if we were.

My husband wants to adopt both of them. I understand the youngest won't be a problem, but the oldest will be.

What are the exact steps to completing this? Who do I call to get this information? I am hitting dead ends with my google searches on this and the flgov website is down and I can't find the paperwork I am supposed to download.

Any information or help for me?

Thanks
Toni

Just Blue

Child support is considered contact.

You will have to get permission from your elder daughters father for this adoption.

The first step you should take is hiring an Adoption Attorney.

HmSkoolMom

there has to be a way to do it cheaper than that. I just do not have the money for an attorney.

My next question was this: we get medicaid for both girls now soley because my husband is not the biological father. If he adopts them, will we lose medicaid? We have insurance through his work (and we are all covered, the insurance is primary, medicaid is secondary).. will medicaid be gone if he adopts them?

Just Blue

there has to be a way to do it cheaper than that. I just do not have the money for an attorney.

My next question was this: we get medicaid for both girls now soley because my husband is not the biological father. If he adopts them, will we lose medicaid? We have insurance through his work (and we are all covered, the insurance is primary, medicaid is secondary).. will medicaid be gone if he adopts them?
At least get a free consult with an attorney.

HmSkoolMom

I am going to do that on the Attorney Pages to the left. I was just reading the site and saw where some had downloaded paperwork to start the process and was wondering what the process would be for us.

thanks.

Last edited:

Gracie3787

I am going to do that on the Attorney Pages to the left. I was just reading the site and saw where some had downloaded paperwork to start the process and was wondering what the process would be for us.

thanks.
You can also get a low cost consult by calling the Florida Bar Lawyer refferal Service at 1-800-342-8011.

Although it can be expensive, there are too many things that can go wrong if you try this without an attorney.

Farfalla

Yes your medicaid will be dropped if he adopts them... unless the total household is below the limits. Here's the link to Florida Medicaid info.

http://www.dcf.state.fl.us/ESS/medicaid.shtml

misjaim07

If money is an issue try this site. I am using them for my daughter's adoption by my husband. I cannot guarantee them, but you should check them out. They do all of your paperwork for you and if your paperwork is not right by their fault, they will give you your money back.:) Good Luck!!

http://www.rapidadoption.com/

OhReally?

If money is an issue try this site. I am using them for my daughter's adoption by my husband. I cannot guarantee them, but you should check them out. They do all of your paperwork for you and if your paperwork is not right by their fault, they will give you your money back.:) Good Luck!!

Child Adoption | Step Parent Adoption | Domestic Adoption
Oh please. Sites like that are crap. That's up there with sites offering Father's Rights "help." SCAM! Why would you even recommend them if YOU can not guarantee them? :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">