• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

4th degree B&E

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

guinnysmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I'll try to be concise. My best friend was served the warrant referenced above recently. He was fairly drunk and went to the wrong house after a night of drinking. He THOUGHT he was at the garage apartment of a friend, where he frequently crashed. Since it was late, he attempted to get in with a credit card rather than wake up our friend's family at a late hour. The card broke. Thinking nothing of it other than that he needed a new credit card, he called a cab and went home. WELL, he was at the wrong house. The owners returned from out-of-town, found his credit card in the door, and called the police, who showed up at his workplace. Upon verification by his friend, their neighbor, the owners agreed to drop the charges. The police/DA, however, decided to serve him with 4th degree B&E anyway. To me, this seems absurd. They seem certain he will be convicted. What's the best way to combat this? What could the terms of being found guilty entail? Fines? Community service? Jailtime? This should have been a funny story to tell later, it was an accident, but now its an expensive and scary situation. Thanks in advance.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina

I'll try to be concise. My best friend was served the warrant referenced above recently. He was fairly drunk and went to the wrong house after a night of drinking. He THOUGHT he was at the garage apartment of a friend, where he frequently crashed. Since it was late, he attempted to get in with a credit card rather than wake up our friend's family at a late hour. The card broke. Thinking nothing of it other than that he needed a new credit card, he called a cab and went home. WELL, he was at the wrong house. The owners returned from out-of-town, found his credit card in the door, and called the police, who showed up at his workplace. Upon verification by his friend, their neighbor, the owners agreed to drop the charges. The police/DA, however, decided to serve him with 4th degree B&E anyway. To me, this seems absurd. They seem certain he will be convicted. What's the best way to combat this? What could the terms of being found guilty entail? Fines? Community service? Jailtime? This should have been a funny story to tell later, it was an accident, but now its an expensive and scary situation. Thanks in advance.

**A: is this idiotic drunken bum person still your friend?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">